Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Sob

I am bereaved today. This morning, at approximately 11, my washing machine died. It was a little melodramatic in its dying - I opened the door after washing some bedding to a smell of scorching, and as I pulled out the sheets I spotted multiple burns on the duvet cover - large holes, each surrounded by a brown scorch mark. I've had that washing machine for over a decade and it's moved all over the place with us. Now the drum moves backwards and forwards as well as spinning around, and there's a clonking sound as it does so. Given its age we'll probably replace it rather than trying to get it repaired, so I spent some time this evening looking at various websites trying to decide which one I fancy. Is it just me, or are there actually 457636884 different models of washing machine with virtually no  significant difference between them? And is there anything more ridiculous than the language used by hyperactive advertising people to describe what is basically a boring kitchen appliance? M found one site which encouraged the shopper to get excited about a tray in the door allowing you to add a dropped sock to the load after starting the washing. The mind boggles.
Apart from the suicide of my washing machine it was a quiet day spent mostly trying to learn to write basic code that could be useful for automated testing. I never spent any time in development due to getting sidelined into testing very early in my career and I don't expect to make a change now but I am quite enjoying the challenge.
I woke up at 3:30 this morning (well earlier really, that's just when I pried my eyes open wide enough to see the clock) and realized I'd forgotten to take last night's antidepressant pill. It felt too late to take it then as sleepiness is a side effect and I didn't want to disrupt my sleeping patterns any more, but I did spend the morning battling a headache while doing housework and had no energy. I walked up the hill to the local shop this afternoon and as I plodded up the steepest bit, cursing every step, a young boy (probably 8-ish I would guess, which given my experience of kids really means somewhere between 5 and 14) ran - RAN  past me up the hill. RAN. Little monster, how dare he make me feel so old??? I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose. I'm so unfit...

5 comments:

  1. RIP beloved washing machine!
    (AO is a great site - I always use it)
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might make you laugh one of my terriers tried to provoke some boys to chase him they were perplexed so I explained what he wanted being nice boys they obliged and terrified the dog. He didn't know people could run that fast.🤣 Condolences on your white goods death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Our washing machine also bit the dust about 2 weeks ago. I actually am dragging our dirty clothing to a laundromat this weekend until we purchase a new machine. I haven't used a laundromat since I was a newlywed 22 years ago. That should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha, so it isn't just me who grieves for inanimate objects then? I was actually embarrassed to admit that I was at such a loss when my old faithful kettle died, but I was heartbroken.
    Hope you'll find a new white goods playmate soon - the choice does sound mindboggling though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering how you are. Missing your messages. xxx
    J x

    ReplyDelete