Monday, 27 June 2016

Life is depressing

I binged a bit yesterday - not one of my biggest binges, but probably about as many calories extra as I should have eaten all together all day. I moved on after replacing my usual lunch with the binge, ate a normal dinner and didn't beat myself up over it - although I also chickened out of weighing myself today.
I binged because I'm depressed about all the hatefilled vitriol on social media and all the doom and gloom on the normal media because of last week's referendum. It's amazing how angry so many people are about something that won't happen for years and almost certainly won't be as bad as they are saying even when it does. I can understand concern and nervousness and I'm not exactly happy about the performance of my investments last week, but there's a lot of heat on the Net right now. It seems like the vote, the campaign leading up to it, and the results have really brought out the worst in a lot of people on both sides of the debate and it makes me ashamed to be British / human. I've decided that rather than eating 2000 calories of junk food to make myself feel better I'll just stop reading all the crap until hopefully enough time has passed for people on both sides to rediscover their humanity, or what passes for it. That doesn't mean no blog reading as I don't read political blogs, just no Facebook or news websites. If I bury my head in the sand for a while maybe my ass won't get any bigger than it already is. Plus I'll have much more time to actually do stuff!
Yesterday I walked about 4 miles and then watched The Martian in the afternoon - and really enjoyed it, apart from the time spent mentally listing all the people I'd happily dump on Mars if I could. Definitely recommend it if you haven't already seen it!
This morning I got up and trained despite really not wanting to. I had a five minute argument inside my head about not wanting to, it's just one day, I'll make up for it tomorrow, no you won't, don't risk totally losing momentum, you can skip days once it's become a habit but you shouldn't now unless your body forces it... Eventually the pro-training voice won and I'm glad it did, I think. If nothing else starting the day with a bit of torture kind of sets the right mood for a Monday morning....
On my drive in this morning a rabbit, a squirrel and a magpie all tried to commit suicide under my car but I managed to avoid killing anything. Just as well - if I'd hit any of them I'd still be sitting crying at the side of the road now instead of going to work. 
My how I'm rambling today. Maybe I should just stop :-)

3 comments:

  1. I agree - social media can completely ruin your mood and outlook sometimes. I wondered about your thoughts on the referendum. Hope your week is better, Chrissie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there had been a third box to tick which just said "pissed off with the lot of you" I know which I would have chosen:)

    ReplyDelete