Monday, 28 March 2016

Bank holiday

I spent the whole weekend from Friday morning to Monday mid afternoon up in Lincolnshire visiting my Dad. The weather was mostly really good - apart from a cold strong wind the whole time (it is always windy up here anyway) it only rained when we were back at the house or at worst driving back - until today, which was just horrible.
I caught the train Friday morning and the journey up here though long was very smooth - all on time, not too busy. I reached Newark just after 10:30 and we went back to the house for a snacky lunch before heading to the wonderful Woodhall Spa. I was walking around with no coat and too warm in a sweatshirt and jeans. A local owl rescue charity was collecting in the High Street and I fell in love :-)








Saturday was quite busy - we spent the morning in Louth, where I'd never been before but I really liked it - a very pretty market town. 



Then we drove to Doddington Hall for lunch and to browse their marvellous farm shop. 

On Sunday we headed down to the south of Lincolnshire to Belton House National Trust property for a wander around the grounds, a self guided tour of the house, and a free guided tour of the belowstairs servants quarters. The grounds were nice though obviously not at their best at this time of year, the house itself wasn't that exciting, but the tour of the servants quarters was excellent - really interesting and you can't go down there on your own anyway.




Every day we all pretty much collapsed after the excursions and I slept really well every night except Sunday when I was woken up in the middle of the night by the torrential rain. I hoped because it was raining so hard in the night it might ease up in the morning but of course that didn't happen, so our tentative plans for a long walk in the morning didn't materialise. It did dry up by lunchtime but by then there wasn't time to do anything before my train.
Unfortunately that's when things went pear-shaped as damage to the overhead wires around St Neots held up the departure of the train, also causing multiple cancellations so that the trains that did run were packed. They also added three extra stops to the itinerary and rerouted the train via Cambridge. Which all boils down to the fact that I was due to disembark my last train at 17:32 and I actually hadn't even reached London by that time. I actually got home at about 19:50 exhausted and stressed. But that in no way changes the fact that I had a fantastic weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Apart from the last bit, it sounds brilliant!
    J x

    ReplyDelete