Sunday, 10 November 2013

Friday, Saturday & Today

Friday was crap. Not all of it – I enjoyed going to the pub for a drink with the test team – but apart from that, it was crap. And the trip to the pub ruined my very short gluten free run as I didn’t get lunch beforehand, thinking I’d pick up something at the pub, didn’t, and then when I got back to the office had nothing available but a beef burrito. In a wheat wrap. I considered fasting but knew that wouldn’t be likely to help with the sustained driving effort so I bit the bullet (and the burrito). I spent the morning & early afternoon getting stressed about the journey home (soooo productive) then got in the car at 2:40pm and had the journey home from hell. I got home at 6:15pm. I was exhausted after such a long drive, and by the end was barely hanging on to my reflexes and observation. I had been planning to stick some fish in the grill (cook from frozen – so handy) but I was just too tired. So we popped round the corner to the nearest pub and I drank San Miguel while eating a massive burger and fries. I started out eating the burger roll, but, no credit to my sense, had to leave most of it not because of the gluten but because it was just too massive.

Saturday I had a reasonable breakfast – gf sausage, bacon, scrambled egg. Lunch was fine too, lettuce wraps with hardboiled egg and tomato. But I’d eaten a mini box of 4 Guylian chocolates before lunch. Dinner was a gf curry, but I had no cauliflower for cauli rice so I had white rice (and really enjoyed it!)

I think in the short term I will focus on gluten free, try for mostly grain free, and aim to avoid refined sugars while I get to grips with the new lifestyle. At least that should reduce bloating and digestive issues, though it won’t cure them as I don’t do great with grains generally. Today didn’t go brilliantly in terms of the refined sugar as I had a GF Mrs Crimble’s chocolate brownie, but the food was all gf all the time, so it could have been worse.

On the non-food front, I was tired on Friday so an early night was called for – and enjoyed. Saturday I tried to avoid driving anywhere since I felt like I’d spent the whole of last week in the car, and walked to not one, not two, but three different supermarkets with my rucksack. In total probably about 6 miles walking, but lots of weight in the rucksack, so still tiring. In the even I had a total meltdown and ended up weeping, wailing, snapping at M and eventually crying myself to sleep.

I’m such a heroic figure, you must be in awe of my warrior nature.

This morning I woke up around 4am, feeling like I’d barely closed my eyes all night, and continued Saturday’s nuttiness. I walked to one of the furthest away supermarkets in town – not that far, a 5.5 mile round trip, but bought some heavy vegetables and a kilo of rice there (plus some 21 days dry aged sirloin steaks for Friday) and again the rucksack was too heavy – and I still didn’t have everything I wanted, so I then made one last trip to Waitrose and was verging on collapse by the time I got home. I need to learn to pace myself rather than trying to fit in everything I might want to do in the two days I have at home.

Food today:

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon & a gf sausage

Lunch: Turkey salad ‘sandwiches’ – the turkey was the container, with lettuce, cucumber & tomato in between the slices of meat

Dinner: will be the low carb meatloaf I’ve posted about before, with steamed veggies tossed in homemade pesto

Snacks: Greek yoghurt with defrosted summer berries; nuts; gf brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment