Sunday, 6 October 2013

Too much at once

During yesterday I was continuing my snail’s pace reintroduction of dairy by having butter in my breakfast eggs – and considering a pot of Greek yoghurt to really push the boat out.

Then I went slightly nuts, realised how uptight / obsessional my behaviour was still being, and agreed to go out for a Thai meal last night.

Mistake.

First of all I don’t like eating late at the best of times. We generally have dinner at 7pm – somewhere between 6:30 and 7 anyway – and last night we didn’t leave the house till almost 8, so I was already hungry and out of my schedule. Then I had 3 courses, which is more food than I’m used in one go, and ate a few things I’ve been avoiding.

Soy / fish sauce

Sweet chilli sauce

A couple (literally) of prawn crackers – the restaurant in question does the best prawn crackers in the world – dipped in (gasp!) peanut sauce

White rice (coconut rice & a single forkful of rice noodles)

I had steamed mussels with chilli – they were delicious, it’s a favourite of mine, but they do come with a little soy / fish sauce (I don’t know which, I’m woefully ignorant about Thai ingredients and the menu doesn’t specify)

Then pork stir fried with garlic & chilli (plus a little of M’s stir fried squid with chilli – notice a chilli theme????) with the aforementioned coconut rice. Very possible it was stir fried in peanut oil or rapeseed / soya oil, all excluded on the Whole30, and again there was soy / fish sauce.

Then fruit salad, which I don’t feel guilty/doubtful about. Though I should probably have had cream with it and didn’t.

Plus approx 1.5 – 2 glasses of rose (not very strong) wine

Woke up this morning feeling full, even bloated, yet hungry, and with a splitting headache. I know I’m a lightweight where wine is concerned but I really didn’t drink enough to give me a booze hangover, even after 33 days of no alcohol at all. That combined with the bloated yet wanting to eat feeling tells me there was something there my body wasn’t happy about. Of course because I changed so many things at once, and don’t even know how many, I’ve no idea what. Probably not the butter, as I’d eaten that in the morning and felt fine for the following 12-14 hrs. I think the wine and soy are most likely myself. Even before whole30 I was replacing traditional soy sauce with tamari and barely drinking.

Anyhoo, coffee, lemon water and painkillers took care of the headache and the bloated feeling has almost worn off, but I don’t think I’ll be doing that again in a hurry. Today I guess I’ll have to eat clean again (and I really fancy that Greek yoghurt right now) to let my system settle down.

Eating out is nice, but not if it leads to several hours of discomfort…

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment