Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Whole30 day 24

Still experimenting with making Paleo versions of things I would usually buy. Indeed, today I made a version of something I would usually buy for M – and not eat myself – tomato ketchup. M won’t eat it because it’s undeniably not the ‘real’ thing – the recipe allows optional sweeteners but whole30 doesn’t so I left them out, with the result of a tangier version. It also seems runnier than I expected – another time I’d cut down on the water. Why did I make something I don’t usually eat? Because I’m weird Because I wanted to use my homemade mayo to make a seafood sauce, and couldn’t add commercial ketchup. I was snacking on prawns, and I’m bored of plain prawns (plus they’re really too low fat to have as is). So I blended up the ketchup, mixed it with the mayo, couldn’t add Worcestershire sauce / brandy – but I’m not convinced they make a massive difference in the quantities I would use anyway – and called it seafood sauce. Again, its tangier and more runny than the real thing – but a very tasty alternative to plain boring prawns!

I worked from home today again. Its dangerous for me to do that because its so much less stressful than being in the office I don’t want to go back after just one day Winking smile.

I intended to spend my lunch break on the climber but by lunch time I was so hungry I ate my lunch before remembering what I’d intended. So instead I went out for a not very long or taxing walk into town – M is home with man flu and I had to buy him some medicine. And some cashew nuts for me of course. I think I’m coming down with a cold as well, so I’m really happy about that. No, really… Although it might give me an excuse to stay home some more if I’m coughing up my lungs the way he is…

Food Today:

Breakfast: BLTA without the bread - bacon, tomato and avocado in lettuce leaf wraps
Lunch: Salad with tinned red salmon & chopped capers in my homemade mayo
Dinner: Bolognese with courgette noodles                                   Snacks: Prawns in seafood sauce, cashews

1 comment:

  1. Do you like spicy? I love 'hot' and intense flavours, so use a variety of spices and peppers and a lot of chilli-based things (e.g. Jamie Oliver Szechuan pepper, chilli and ginger salt, or Turkish red pepper flakes) to give bland foods zing, and also use loads (er, very loads!) of lemon zest. They'd go well with home-made mayo too.

    ReplyDelete