Thursday, 9 May 2013

Why I'm finding low carb harder than I expected...
I love reading the books on the low carb phenomenon... They all explain in great detail why its not my fault I regained almost half the weight I lost, they don't expect me to train 7 hours a day, and they talk of the weight reaching a natural equilibrium without hunger or calorie counting, food scales or conscious portion control. They mostly also contain success stories by people who apparently melted the excess weight away while sitting on their shrinking asses eating neat butter by the slab.
I want to lose between 14 and 21lbs, which I know is less than a lot of the people quoted but its not like I'm trying to lose my last 3lbs to reach a borderline emaciated body shape... I'm eating less carbs than the maximums quoted in these books, more protein and plenty of fat. I haven't genuinely binged (though once or twice I've overeaten I think because of my body craving something *else* rather than something specific. I've eaten chocolate (in small qualities) on 3 occasions, dessert once - in almost 2 months (check before posting) AND THE SCALES HAVE BARELY MOVED. I'm hanging in there because I like being able to ignore the many occasions when my colleagues find an excuse to buy doughnuts that I shouldn't eat because of the gluten even if I wasn't trying to lose weight and I love not being tempted by the dessert menu at restaurants. But if you believe the claims of massive weight loss achieved while consuming mammoth numbers of calories, I should not still weigh almost the same now as I did in the beginning... I really shouldn't. I'm so frustrated I could almost overlook the improvement in my sleep (very recently), the steadier moods (when taking into account the fact that I came off the antidepressants and TTOM) and the fact that I've not eaten till I feel sick and then wanted to die since beginning this approach... because let's be honest, these things are all good, but I'm in it to lose weight first and foremost. I believe if I stick to it easier maintenance will be on offer too... But FFS, not maintenance at this weight, 7 lbs above the highest healthy weight for my height!!!
I read a post yesterday by Laura yesterday that I really enjoyed and respected. She looked at the health implications of her very successful weight loss, added in the effort required to maintain it, and made the deliberate decision to gain some weight back in order to improve her health and happiness (and it doesn't hurt that she looks great). I wish I was capable of being as, well, wise I guess, as she is - because frankly when I look in the mirror I don't see a body much healthier than it was st peak weight, I see a body significantly heavier than it was at peak weight loss... And even though I felt my face was too thin back then, now I just want to see that again. AARGH I wish I wasn't so obsessive about this rubbish... My body is less fit than I'd like, but fundamentally healthy. My mind? Apparently not so much... Having said all that, there's a difference between making an intelligent reasoned decision and just letting yourself go...
The weather did not cooperate with my desire to walk today... It didn't rain constantly, in fact there was a little sun... but the timing of the showers prevented a lunchtime walk and discouraged a post-work walk. However, instead of just collapsing on the sofa for the evening when I got home, I spent 40 minutes on the versaclimber before dinner (then collapsed on the sofa ;-))
 

2 comments:

  1. I think the trouble with some low-carb proponents is that they promise extreme results without extreme measures...and to be realistic, that rarely happens.

    I've heard so many people complain that they gained weight on Paleo...but they were eating so much meat, whole eggs, almond butter...everything and anything calorie-dense.

    At the end of the day I firmly believe in calorie-counting...it's the only way I ever manged to lose weight (without training 7 hours a day...ironically I find that easier than cutting down on food!) I've gone through periods of my life eating nothing but absolute junk (mostly as a teenager) but keeping my calories low enough to lose weight anyway. If only I was so logical about things now!

    The other factor might well be that you ARE so close to your target weight - the people you're reading about sound like they were very overweight, so they would have more leeway when it comes to calories and the ability to lose weight.

    I admired Laura's post too - she did mention that her BMI was 'overweight' but I don't think she looks overweight at all, and I'd dispute that she could ever, EVER be described as unhealthy. Perhaps the same could be true for you?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, low-carb for weight loss isn't something I can really comment on. Had it not been for controlling my hubby's T2 diabetic blood glucose, we'd probably never have even tried a low-carb lifestyle.

    As you'll know, I lost my weight the 'traditional' way, by restricting calories and increasing activity, so intuitively feel that that way was 'right' for me. That may be so, but I 'may' equally have lost it by following a low-carb regime too - who knows.

    It's 'probably' helping make maintenance less of a daily challenge, but it sure isn't the only tool in my toolbox. I still keep an eye on portions and food type, and a CLOSE eye on the scales.

    But... and it does seem a biggie... there seem to be quite a bundle of benefits to low-carb eating on the 'health' front, for me, my hubby and for you too, from what you've written now and in previous posts.

    Maybe you could write down those positives as a way to focus on something other than the effects on the scales? I know it's frustrating, but it may help you see more clearly, then you can think about where little adjustments can be made to keep the health benefits AND kick-start the loss again.

    All the best with it, and keep your pecker up (er, this is a non-rude English expression, for the readers from over the water, by the way!).

    ReplyDelete