Monday, 11 March 2013

Is there life after sugar?

I doubt if there's anyone left put there, but if there is I hope you're not fed up of me reappearing periodically with a new diet plan I've decided to try...?
The fasting is on hold at the moment for reasons I'll get to shortly; I haven't lost faith in it, but I have decided to make going cold turkey on the sweet things a priority, and to that end, after a bit of research, I'm going low carb for a while. I'm basing what I'm doing on the diet defined in Barry Groves' books 'Natural Health & Weight loss' with some influence from Gary Taubes' 'Why we get fat & what to do about it'. I've now been doing this for almost 10 days - and that's 10 days without a binge, without breaking the plan, without wanting anything sweet, and without carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms (apart from a few hours on Friday afternoon / evening when I got a headache with accompanying nausea.) I have been a bit lacking in energy as my body faces up to trying to remember how to burn fat for energy instead of carbs, and that has led to a temporary hiatus in exercise and in fasting while I wait to adjust.
In the meantime, I'm eating much more meat, millions of eggs, full fat milk, cream & cheese... They weren't my favourite things to eat, but I'm enjoying them more with time and not minding eating less veg, no bread, pasta, sugar or potatoes. And I've been feeling less bloated, suffering less wind (excuse the TMI - and some more TMI - neither seriously constipated nor having diarrhea). I've also cut back considerably on diet sodas and flavoured waters to help reduce my sweet tooth.
And after months of maintaining I lost 1.5lbs last week (still not willing to name my weight - maybe at the weekend, as I'm now weighing weekly instead of daily)
But one downside to this cannot be denied... I can't drink beer! Crying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceCrying faceWhat am I to do???

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie
    Hope you'll find going low-carb as helpful as I have :-)
    A couple of tips:
    1) grab yourself a copy (library?) of John Briffa's 'Escape the Diet Trap'. It's got loads of useful info in it and is very well written.
    2) invest in a pot of Ketostix. They are not too costly and really help keep me (and hubby) on track (Superdrug sell them, but Boots can be a tad sniffy about it!)
    3) read up and experiment with the lower carb veggies and hit the herbs & spices. It really helps keep things interesting. Eggs/meats and cream are great, but after a few weeks... the excitement can turn to 'oh no, not another effing egg!'
    Yep, it's a shame about the ale. I too suffer here... and I don't even live near the Brakspears brewery any more :-( but I am developing a surprising affinity for a small glass of red wine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I think this one is a perfect blog for those who are taking pills for reducing weight. But we all know that this pill may be dangerous for our health. So I am thinking exercise, meditation & avoid junk food are the best things for reducing weight. Thanks…


    Meal planning for weight loss

    ReplyDelete