Thursday, 21 March 2013

Don't faint from the shock... Are you sitting down? I did 20 push ups this morning. I slept really well last night! I feel like a new(ish) woman today! This evening I trained for 40 minutes on the mountain climber - I even went back to finish after my Tesco delivery came early! And, and, and the sun shone this morning. (for about 20 minutes) I know, amazing, right? It made such a nice change after the 29 month winter we seem to be having... Ok maybe not, but it feels like it to me and I am soooooo ready for it to be over now....
On Saturday I'm planning a trip into London with my brother. I've planned for some things we can do to get around without getting wet if it pours, but I'm really hoping we'll be able to walk all day. The forecast isn't bad so far, but we don't believe forecasters, do we...
Today's mystery meal was a slow cooker stew of beef heart. I have NEVER eaten heart before (or not knowingly anyway) and I only did it now because I got all adventurous and ordered some from Tesco when I first decided to turn more or less carnivorous. I'm really not one for 'organ meats' as they bill them these days, but I read a description of the heart that described it as ultra lean muscle meat, and went for it. I added some radishes, onion and carrots - very little carrot. I was hoping it would pretty much resemble any normal beef stew without any hint of offal-ness, and would get nicely tender to boot. Did it? Well... Not entirely. It was falling apart tender as I'd hoped, the gravy refused to thicken though I whisked cream into it, and the smell when I got home was a little offal-y (kind of like steak & kidney pie without the pastry) but it did taste a lot better than it looks, and as the meat was so cheap I don't doubt I'll make it again, possibly using almond flour or  xanthan gum as a thickener. And cutting the meat smaller wouldn't hurt either... Live and learn though - and my word, it was filling! Served on top of some kale.


I took a photo but I'm blogging on my iPad and can't figure out how to add a picture that's saved on the iPad itself. If I remember I'll try to come back and add it when I'm on a PROPER PC instead of this stupid annoying pain in the ass TOY (I like it really - at least for some things)

No comments:

Post a Comment