Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Branching out

My alternative lunches have been going much better the last couple of days. I made 2 portions of soup from chicken drumsticks (skin attached), radishes - really good addition - and small amounts of onion, carrot, cauliflower & green beans. I blended it up and it didn't look delicious (but then I think pureed chicken never looks delicious - just beige slurry really, hence the lack of photo) but it was simple, tasty, and definitely not a salad (apart from the radishes of course) and I enjoyed it so much I've made another low carb soup for the next few days. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner, but suspect its because I have always seen soup making as a way to cram masses of vegetables into a smaller volume, using meat as more of a condiment, and that doesn't really fit this low carb thing. The new soup I've made doesn't contain meat, but does contain 2 kinds of cheese and spinach - its based on a recipe from a novel, no less - Diane Mott Davidson's Dying for Chocolate, a murder mystery starring a caterer which includes recipes for a lot of her dishes. I used to make it a while ago with reduced fat cheeses (until I decided it had too many calories even with the low fat cheese) and now I've brought it back, and am looking forward to eating it for lunch tomorrow.



It's lower in protein than the salads and the chicken soup but certainly high enough in fat to fit with the new plan, and tastes rich and buttery. The original recipes uses flour as a thickener; I never bothered with that even when I wasn't low carb, but I do puree some of it to thicken the whole lot. If you're interested in the recipe, it's called Goldie's Gourmet Spinach Soup.
I'm trying something tomorrow that I've never cooked before - squeamish people and vegetarians may want to steer clear... more adventurous readers watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. Cheers, Chrissie
    Wow. Mysteries and food - right up my street. Looking forward to reading the books and trying out the recipes (low-carb, of course).

    ReplyDelete