Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Trial period

Today I experimented with intermittent fasting, skipping breakfast & lunch and eating 500 calories for dinner. I was hungry a few times, less often than I expected, and managed to overcome that by drinking fizzy water. It's an interesting feeling, actually; (fasting, not being hungry) I felt very relaxed about food on the one hand (knowing I wasn't supposed to eat anything meant no quandaries about what I should eat, and no mental negotiations along the familiar lines of 'if I eat that, I can't eat that, unless I change my planned dinner to the other' which I am very prone to on normal days), but I can't claim I wasn't thinking about food at all, quite the opposite in fact - I was planning future meals and looking up recipes as usual. I am very aware that this sort of thing  could trigger my bingeing tendencies, so I monitored myself quite strictly and left all my money at home whilst ensuring that I had some tinned soup & low calorie yoghurts in the office in case I crumbled or felt dodgy, and ate one yoghurt at 3pm. I don't know how regularly I might be inclined to fast, but as a one off I found myself feeling healthier without any bloating or discomfort, and didn't notice any lightheadedness or lack of energy (even though I slept poorly last night). The only thing I did notice was some strange noises my stomach was making every so often, but there was no-one close enough to hear & embarrass me, so I didn't mind that! The hardest time, unsurprisingly, was lunchtime - I wasn't especially hungry, but habit, the smell of food coming from the kitchen area, and not being focused on work all combined to make me wish I had something I could eat. But I didn't, and that feeling didn't last too long! I didn't want to train till I knew how my body was going to react to having no food at all, but the lingering blisters from Saturday's walk would probably have stopped me anyway, so no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment