Monday, 1 October 2012

Walking under the light of a full moon...

On Saturday night I did the Sue Ryder Starlight Hike, a 6 mile walk around a business park in Reading that starts at midnight. I must admit I wouldn't usually think a business park was an exciting place to do a walk, and 6 miles isn't really a new development in the walking stakes for me as it’s shorter than either of the other walks I did earlier in the year, but it was the first night time walk, and I am definitely NOT a late night person, so it still offered a chance to go outside my normal comfort zone a bit. My father-in-law, S, came up to do the walk with me, and we - S, myself, and M - went out for lunch in Reading beforehand as well.
I must admit by about 8pm S and I were both wishing the walk started earlier, just because it was frustrating waiting to get going. We actually left the house about 10 as they'd suggested arriving by 10:30 for the entertainment portion of the event. My Tom Tom sent me to the Madejeski stadium first, but we got there on time, registered and bought a little official merchandise, then watched 2 demos by a local group of Free Runners and 2 sets by a singer who appeared on the first series of The Voice (which I didn't watch) - he wasn't bad but wasn't brilliant either, but it was basically free so no complaints! There were multiple points on the route with different performers as well so there was music the whole way around, which was nice. The route wasn't exciting - 2 big loops of the park, then 2 shorter loops - but S and I both enjoy over-taking people, and there were about 500 people on the walk, so that was nice, and we finished in very comfortably under 2 hours, then drove home and both went straight to bed.
On Sunday I didn't feel actively tired despite only 5 hours in bed, though I did lack the energy to do more than walk into town (1 mile round trip) and make a ton of waffles for the freezer; but today I struggled like you wouldn't believe when it came to getting up so I obviously didn't catch up on my sleep yet! On the whole it was a fun experience, and did have a different atmosphere because it was at night (and fewer kids - win!) but when there's no shortage of day time charity walks I doubt I'll do another night one unless I decide to really stretch myself and go on the Moonwalk next year (I have registered an interest, but not paid any kind of fee yet so we'll see).
I ate rubbish all weekend, in between telling myself I was fuelling for the walk, recovering from the walk (and lack of sleep) and then just thinking WTF, but don't feel too bad about it so I'm not obsessing again, and am now ready to start getting back to normal. I could have done with a 3 day weekend though!

No comments:

Post a Comment