Friday, 6 April 2012

Tired legs

After 2 days of climbing I decided to make today a rest day – resting from the climber that is. For a few weeks now I’ve been wanting to try to walk from Henley to Marlow (an 8.7 mile stretch of the Thames Path) and decided that today was the day to finally get walking! The weather forecast was just about perfect for a walk – sunny and dry but not too hot, and the Bank Holiday meant that any offices I might have to deal with wouldn’t be open, so the morning was my own…

I started this walk with my brother a few weeks ago, we went as far as Hambledon Lock (about a 5 mile round trip from Henley) and then turned back, so the first part of the walk I already knew – and really liked. I’m not sure if I’ve already mentioned that I think walking alongside the Thames is just an amazing thing to be able to do here, but if not – it is! Somehow it always seems so tranquil and peaceful, even though its used by walkers, runners, cyclists & dog-walkers every day. The four mile section from the Hambledon Lock to Hurley was even quieter than I expected and I literally didn’t see any other walkers on the path at all – in fact for large parts of the walk the only sound to be heard was bird song (and ducks and geese – not really musical enough to describe as birdsong Winking smile)

P1130716P1130721P1130723P1130731P1130734P1130753P1130756P1130757P1130760P1130794P1130798

It was a glorious walk, pleasantly cool and wonderfully sunny. By the time I reached Marlow I was pleased to stop I must admit, as my ankles were aching a bit (from the uneven and rough surfaces) and my feet were throbbing! I caught the train home and then M & I went out for lunch to a Thai restaurant we like here.

Food today:

Breakfast: Millet and amaranth porridge that I tweaked slightly from the recipe, adding 150gms of blueberries and half a cup of skim milk before cooking to make 3 portions; I topped it with chia seeds & raisins and stirred in some cottage cheese for protein

P1130714

Lunch: Steamed mussels

P1130803

followed by salmon in a coconut curry sauce and coconut rice – to die for!

P1130805

Dinner: Home-made chicken & vegetable soup with shirataki noodles

P1130807

Snacks: A packet of beef slices & a babybel on the way to Marlow; a gluten free lemon polenta cake slice and cappuccino in a cafe in Marlow on arrival (I was starving… not sure my breakfast was big enough to fuel a 10 mile walk (including the wandering around at both ends))

P1130801P1130802

Weight: 11st 2.1lbs (156.1lbs)

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment