Monday, 2 January 2012

Nearly Another Day 1

I wanted to throw up when I weighed this morning. Ah well, at least some of that will be water retention and food waste, so I’m trying to stay positive!

Yesterday we had an absolutely amazing meal marred only by the fact that I forgot my camera – and then realized my mobile battery was so low that it had shut itself off!!! So no photos, but I still wanted to tell you about it because it was a great dining experience!

We went to The Hinds Head in Bray, a lovely gastropub owned by Heston Blumenthal. I’ve always been a bit dubious about his more ‘interesting’ cooking style, but its so close and he’s so famous that we couldn’t not try it! I made a booking in advance and put a note on the booking to say that one of us was gluten free, just to see what would happen.

They looked after me so well! The waiter asked who the gluten free diner was as soon as he came over, and they not only provided my own gluten free bread in place of the sourdough everyone else had, but he also took me through the menu telling me what could or could not be gf / made gf for me. I went for a roast pork main course, and left off the stuffing because it wasn’t gf; they also subbed a different gravy for me because the one the meal comes with is made with wheat flour. Every step of the way he was lovely – and so were the other wait staff we encountered there. By the time we left (about 2:15) the place was absolutely jammed with happy looking diners and I suspect it always is!

Oh yeah, Bray itself is really beautiful & quaint and all that. But you can’t be surprised I’d write more about the food…

Food on New Year’s Day:

Breakfast: Buckwheat & millet flakes with berries & vanilla rice milk – looks healthy, right? Plus some chocolate nuts & chocolate chocolates…

P1120817

Lunch: Starter: Lemon Salad, Goat Curd, Cider Poached Pear and Walnuts

Main course: Roast pork with crackling, vegetables, and the best roast potatoes I ever had!!!

Dessert (yep, I did crowbar in a dessert!): Quaking pudding – a dessert that dates back to approx. 1700 apparently! We had no idea what that might be, but it turned out to be a lovely creamy custard flavoured with nutmeg, it was served unmoulded looking a bit like a cross between blancmange/jelly and custard, but surprised me by being served hot! It was light & delicious and automatically gluten free – how can that be bad???

Snacks: some chocolates & some raisins. But I didn’t have room for dinner so WTH.

I didn’t weigh yesterday but since I don’t want to type the numbers sooooo badly I’m going to anyway

Weight: 166.5 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment