Friday, 24 December 2010

Baking marathon…

I have spent almost all day today cooking and baking like a mad woman…

I did manage a walk into town in the morning to get a few bits and pieces that I had still managed to forget despite all my many shopping trips this week – and even then, I just ran out of plain (all purpose) flour – luckily after I finished!!! On the way I saw my favourite beautiful friendly German Shepherd, who was delirious with joy to see me again. She gives me such a boost, even though I know she’s almost totally lacking indiscrimination when it comes to loving absolutely everybody in the world (but she likes me best…Winking smile)

First thing this morning I started a beef brisket cooking for tomorrow’s lunch, and a beef and ale stew for Boxing Day lunch, both in my slow-cookers, then baked about 30 cookies – chocolate with peppermint chips. After my walk I baked a batch of chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips, roasted a turkey breast crown, and baked 3 dozen mince-pies. This afternoon I followed that up by baking a rum cake (my Bundt cake tin was too small for the amount of batter, so I ended up with a load of mini rum cake-lets cooked in a mini-muffin pan as well), simmering up a rum syrup to soak the cake with, and icing the chocolate sauerkraut cake I made a few weeks ago (though I did cheat and buy some chocolate fudge flavour buttercream icing). Just typing that out has tired me out almost as much as actually doing it all – and my kitchen looks like a bomb hit it!!!

Before the icing…

P1090985P1090986

And after…

P1090995P1090996

2 kinds of cookies…

P1090992P1090993

Mince-pies:

P1090984P1090991

Rum cake & cake-lets!!!

P1090994

P1090990

And this is the apple cake I made yesterday…

P1090998

Food today:

Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with LC and strawberry jam.

P1090983

Lunch: Home-made vegetable and chicken soup with lite bread & LC, and a Greek side salad from Waitrose that needed using up.

P1090988

Dinner: Stir fry of vegetables, tofu and buckwheat noodles.

P1090989

Snacks: All bran with peaches & blueberries; a mince pie; 2 3 mini rum cake-lets (one with rum syrup, 2 without); a mini bag of Reese’s Pieces from my Christmas stash of candy; a Reese’s peanut butter cup ditto… hmm, well, I needed the energy for all that hard work!!!

I didn’t weigh myself this morning after yesterday’s pizza for dinner….

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooooo jealous of the people coming to your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete