Saturday, 28 August 2010

Lovely Saturday

I decided I needed to shop for more clothes for work today! The dress code in the office is smart casual, and I’m used to having to wear a suit so I didn’t have many options. Cue a trip to Cardiff and a visit to Marks & Spencer – plus of course a bit of food shopping while in town! The sky was blue, the sun was bright, but it wasn’t too hot thankfully – I hate trying on clothes when I feel sweaty!

I went to Starbucks first for a coffee and snack, then headed to Chinatown. Unfortunately I got there before the supermarket opened, so I went back into town to visit a deli that might have provided what I wanted (Hot and Spicy Chinese curry paste) – no luck. Then I tried a department store in the town centre – still nothing. Though they did have something else I’ve been searching for – banana liqueur that I need to make my planned Christmas cake this year – a Caribbean rum cake that I hope will replicate the famous Tortuga rum cake of Grand Cayman. (Yes, I know I could just substitute dark rum, but I want to try doing it properly!)

My second visit to Chinatown was more successful, and the clothes shopping went well too. I struggled for a while – to find trousers small enough, love that problem! – but got there in the end. By this time I decided that it wasn’t a good idea to drive home and cook soup from scratch as was my plan – I would be too hungry by then – so I bought a sandwich for lunch (I’ll admit I was tempted to go to a restaurant, but that would have been piggy!)

This afternoon we watched The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus – I started out with a HEFTY dose of scepticism, but in the end we both really enjoyed it! It must be one of the weirdest movies ever made, but certainly not boring – or predictable!!!

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with strawberries & a mocha protein shake with half a banana blended in

Lunch: Boots sandwich – falafels and salad. Very tasty!

MEMO0016 MEMO0018

Dinner: Seafood risotto made with pearl barley instead of rice and a frozen seafood mix, with a salad

P1070640

Snacks: Starbucks yoghurt with wildflower honey & granola + a skinny flat white coffee

P1070636

And cottage cheese with nuts and seeds

P1070639

Weight: 10 st 3lbs (143 lbs)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for smaller pants! Your food always sounds so exotic. A boots sandwich? Oh and I've been using barley instead of rice for risotto and I love the change.

    Have a great Sunday, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hot and spicy curry paste! I sometimes add it to my soup broth to make it extra spicy.

    Sounds like a nice time out though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in a case of complete randomness - I'd never even heard of that movie until you mentioned it. I was renting movies for the weekend from redbox and came across it. Rented it and LOVED it - as you said, very interesting, very strange, very captivating. Thank you for the mention.

    ReplyDelete