Thursday, 19 August 2010

Busy day

I’ve been rushing around slightly manically getting myself sorted out to start work tomorrow. All the paperwork needs doing, and because I’m a contractor working for a client, though an agency, as an ‘employee’ of an umbrella company (don’t worry about the details, its just layers of complexity to handle the legislation around my industry in this country) I have to supply information directly to 2 sets of people, and also trust them (with some nudging) to exchange information among themselves. I also had to drag myself into Newport this morning as part of the process – my agency had to see me, passport in hand, to verify that I am who I am say I am (i.e. not a terrorist or money launderer)  before they would issue me my contract. I’m breathless again just writing about it! I absolutely hate driving in strange places, especially strange cities, but today, with the help of my GPS, it went much more smoothly than I expected, so that was something anyway. And now its done, so as far as I know all I now have to focus on is arriving on time and getting up to speed ASAP.

After all that was done, plus my weekly food shop, I treated myself to a naughty lunch. It was – as always – not quite as good in reality as in imagination, but that doesn’t mean it was bad. Then I walked into town to earn it!

Now that I think I’ve sorted out the paperwork and I’m more or less ready for tomorrow I’m getting nervous… the one thing about contracting that makes me question whether I’m suited to it – I hate starting a new job before I’ve met the people, when I’m wondering if I’m up to the job – and of course as a contractor those first days come along more often than the average permanent member of staff (unless they’re very unlucky!) I slept badly last night – well, not so much badly as not really long enough – so I think tonight will have to be a fairly peaceful earlyish night to make up for it!

Food today:

Breakfast: Toast with a poached egg and the spicy lentil dish I cooked in my slow-cooker a few weeks ago – a kind of Indian-influenced slant on beans on toast. It was tasty – especially with some chilli flakes added while it was heating up. Also a protein-iced coffee shake.


Lunch: KFC ‘Boneless Banquet for One’’ (reheated in the oven when I got it home)


Dinner: Inspired by Nando’s but not – peri-peri marinated and grilled mushrooms and halloumi cheese, served with salad. Too bad its raining out, so something hotter might have been more appealing. It was actually a much more satisfying meal than I expected it to be!


Snacks: Greek yoghurt with lots of mixed seeds


and a small amount of pic’n’mix at Tesco – yes, I shopped while hungry and caved in! And a Starbucks ‘Caramel Light’ iced coffee while I was in Newport!

Weight: 10 st 2.5lbs (142.5 lbs)


  1. You had me at KFC. It has been so long since I last had any of that delicious chicken, that it has been off my radar for a while. I do miss it though :)

  2. Oh Chrissie - I'm so excited about your new job! Congratulations!

  3. Congratulations on getting the job details all taken care of. I guess it makes sense to start on a Friday -- I mean, most of the first day is taken up with getting the computer hooked up with IT and learning where the bathrooms are located. Usually, they don't expect you to get any actual work done the first day. At least now you can hit the ground running on Monday.

    Um... in theory, anyway.

    Good luck!

  4. Good luck for today!

    And... oooh, but your breakfast egg and 'beans' made me drool :-)