Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Intimidated

I’ve been thinking about getting a bit more adventurous in the kitchen lately. As much as I love cooking, most of what I do is quite simply variations on my well-established themes, while other things I just avoid, either because they’re fattening / unhealthy – I don’t ‘do’ pastry for instance –or because they intimidate me slightly.

Things that I’ve thought about trying but been too intimidated to go for it (I’m not saying I’m going to do them all, just getting them out there) are:

1) Souffles. In fact anything that involves beating egg whites into stiff peaks, so meringues as well. And angel food cake.

2) Pates

3) Home brew beer

4) Jams and preserves

5) Fudge / toffee

6) Any kind of offal (I hate them all, so M, who doesn’t, goes without)

7) Home-made sausages

8) Pickles

9) Bearnaise / Hollandaise sauce

10) Ice-cream

11) Cooking crabs / lobsters alive – they’ve never done anything to me!!!

12) Sourdough bread

I think that’s about it! Several of the above are really one thing – I don’t make beer, pickles, preserves or jam because I’m put off by the idea of having to sterilise dozens of jars or bottles and then wondering if I did it right or if I just made a big pile of highly toxic crap. The pates suffer from my offal-phobia.  Ice-cream is too much like hard work for this lazy cow – all that beating as it freezes!

Most of these I’m still not ready to tackle, but I am considering digging out my egg whisk food processor to try a savoury souffle somewhere down the line, or maybe getting a sausage-making kit. Have any of you done any of these? Or do any of you have foods you’d try making if you weren’t a little intimidated / scared…?

1 comment:

  1. 1) Souffles. In fact anything that involves beating egg whites into stiff peaks, so meringues as well. And angel food cake.

    I've made several angel food cakes, but I'd love to try an old fashioned cheese souffle. I saw Ina Gartden do one on TV this week and it looked yummy! I think this would be a very cool thing to master. It's so "continental".

    2) Pates

    Once and I wasn't happy with the result.

    3) Home brew beer

    Have done home made root beer with the ex-husband. That was fun and good.

    4) Jams and preserves

    While I haven't made any in the recent past, I've been doing this for ever. I grew up in a "canning" family.

    5) Fudge / toffee

    Yes to both. Love, love, love toffee. It's my favorite.

    6) Any kind of offal (I hate them all, so M, who doesn’t, goes without)

    I don't have a clue as to what this is. Going to google it up. Okay, I'm back. I'm assuming this is a haggis type thing. Nope, never made anything of the sort. I do love a good chopped chicken liver sandwich.


    7) Home-made sausages

    Grew up making this with my grandmother. Don't really love it.

    8) Pickles

    I pickled some okra and garlic last year.

    9) Bearnaise / Hollandaise sauce

    I've done both of these and HOllandaise is the best thing in the history of ever. I would love to get better at it. I'm still hit or miss in making it the right way. I do a cheater blender version that is passable. Sort of.

    10) Ice-cream

    With the new ice cream freezers, this is a breeze!

    11) Cooking crabs / lobsters alive – they’ve never done anything to me!!!

    Never cooked anything live, don't want to.

    12) Sourdough bread

    It's been many years, but it was easy - although I was given a starter - so I didn't have to do that from scratch.

    ReplyDelete