Monday, 19 April 2010

Sleepy start to the day

For some reason, today started around 3am for me. I think I must have been startled awake by some kind of noise outside, and I don’t think I managed to fall asleep again after that, apart from a  very brief doze around 4:30. I got up at 5am and my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton wool and sand… so I had 2 cups of coffee, and you can forget anything I ever said about giving up or cutting back on coffee – it is the single greatest invention/discovery in the history of humankind!

Boom! Half an hour after my second cup not only did I feel awake, I felt energetic! Enough to spend 30mins on the exercise bike and 20 on the elliptical walker! And then walk into town!!! I even thought about doing a 15 minute yoga-ish stretch (then decided I’d rather eat till I wasn’t bendy anymore…) My brain hasn’t been working as enthusiastically as my body, and I admit I’ve overeaten a tad – though not (so far) as much as I usually do after a very short night’s sleep – but what a turn around!!!

I didn’t take my camera with me on my walk this morning so I’ll just share a couple of snaps of 2 trees in my garden that are looking rather fetching at the moment…

P1040175 P1040176

I love Spring…

I kicked off Operation freezer cleaner today – quite successfully if I do say so myself, and not too boringly. I think I’ll be able to get through this week or two without dying of boredom, and hope I don’t kill you either!

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches, bread with LC and marmalade, and an orange (and the bread with LC was my leftovers from yesterday – so nothing wasted!!!)

Lunch: Singapore laksa with prawns and a side order of oriental  vegetables with sesame.

P1040177P1040178

Anyone think the vegetables didn’t look much like the picture? Me too… and they were kind of bland. I don’t know why I buy that kind of product when (she says modestly) I happen to be pretty damn good at making my own vegetable stir fries!

The prawns for the laksa came out of the freezer, so did the vegetable side dish; the laksa paste and bean sprouts came out of tins that had been in my cupboard for months and I added some shirataki noodles from the fridge. All I did was dissolve laksa paste in water and coconut milk (oh yes, that was in my store cupboard too) then add a few strip of cucumber, some bean sprouts and a load of defrosted prawns. It was very spicy and surprisingly filling given that it didn’t have much bulk.

P1040183

 P1040184

Everything in the laksa sunk so it looks kind of sinister (What horrors lurk beneath….?) but it tasted better than it looked! And if you can read the label above the paste was made with some pretty authentic looking ingredients so I’m going to claim it as an ‘Around the World in 80 meals’ dish even though I didn’t make it quite from scratch!

P1040179

Dinner: Lentil soup (from the freezer!) with added black beans (from the freezer) and a few pieces of Quorn ‘chicken style pieces’ (you guessed it!). With Hovis whole-wheat bread – and yes that was frozen too! The LC wasn’t I admit…

P1040182

Snacks: 80g strawberries;

P1040181

a mini babybel light; and a sultana scone with a little Fage 2% yoghurt and reduced sugar jam. I shouldn’t really have bought a scone when I have two kinds of fruit bread in the freezer – my own Bara brith and a loaf of bought Irish soda bread – but no-one’s perfect. I admit that when I remembered the contents of the freezer I might have accidentally eaten a very thin slice of Bara brith, so that put things right (?!) There may have been a little nibbling on raisins and peanut butter too…

Weight today: 10st 1lb

You might have noticed – I sure have! – that my weight has been a bit lower the last week than it was previously. I wasn’t eating fewer calories or training harder, but I have noticed I feel lighter when I eat vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) – and the scale often seems to agree. There are many reasons why I’m not likely to go completely veggie any time soon (especially as a lot of the food awaiting liberation from my freezer is / contains meat) but I might have to spend a few weeks eschewing the animal flesh when I have  a special reason to lose weight I think!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chrissie. You get up at about the time I go to bed!

    I don't think my weight/ eating issues were really any different when I was a vegetarian. I had times when my eating was very much under control, and I had to cook most meals from scratch as I didn't really like any of the veg ready made stuff that was available - so that was a bonus. But when I went into overeating mode I could still eat plenty of cheese, bread, cake and chocolate.

    I've noticed that your eating has been really good recently - and maybe this is due to the higher fibre content of veggie stuff making you feel fuller for longer?

    I feel that it's a very healthy way of eating, but I reached a point where I'd had so many beans and lentils that I just couldn't face them anymore! I still can't picture myself eating that way again. Maybe one day ...

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete