Monday, 12 April 2010

Moan, whinge, groan

If you can’t stand self pity, look away now, there are lots of more cheerful posts you could be reading right now.

If you are still here – or even if you’re not, for my own benefit, I AM NOT HAPPY.

(This is not because of yesterday’s indulgences, I meant what I said about not feeling guilty etc etc due to a day off the healthy eating plan. I can’t usually practice what I preach, but I do genuinely believe that never having a day off isn’t healthy moderation.)

No, I’m complaining about my back again. For no apparent reason – given that it was fine yesterday and I didn’t do anything active yesterday – I am in agony today. Like last time, it’s a pain between my shoulder blades, which isn’t even where I used to have a weak back. I feel like an elephant in high heeled boots is jumping up and down on my back, dead centre between the shoulder blades. It doesn’t get worse when I breathe deeply, so I don’t think its any kind of chest infection. It does hurt more when I turn my head or twist my body in any way. I tried to take a walk (without my rucksack because I’m not completely insane) but getting dressed and trying to put on my walking boots was such a painful experience that I decided it was not even close to worth it. Instead I drove (carefully) into town for some super-powerful painkillers (well, as powerful as you can get in this country without a prescription) and then came straight home to take 2 and pick up the pity party where I’d left off. Earlier I’d taken some ibuprofen & paracetamol without denting the pain. The Paramol (paracetamol and codeine) may have dented it slightly, but so little that I wonder why I bothered. I don’t actually believe it works, but I’m considering getting pissed just to see if that has an anaesthetic effect (or simply means I don’t care any more).

OW. OW. OW. OW. OWWWWW.

Anyone want to pop over and cut off my head for me? I’d do it myself but I can’t reach…

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches

Lunch: Cowboy beans with a baked sweet potato, and roast vegetables – butternut squash & broccoli – and I forgot to take a picture!!! The beans were really tasty, but the beans themselves were slightly too firm so I’d cook them longer next time – they had 9 hours from soaked but raw. I didn’t add jalapenos and next time I think I’ll try that. The other 3 portions are in the freezer so hopefully the beans will soften a bit more through freezing and defrosting as so many vegetable foods seem to.

Dinner: Vegetable soup with Nimble LC open sandwich with grilled portobello mushroom, red onion, red pepper and halloumi. And unlike the Nando’s burger recreation, this time I put a few drops of Nando’s extra hot sauce on the mushrooms first, we’ll call that a marinade OK? Makes it sound a bit more impressive. Also we’ll call it a Portobello-halloumi tower because sandwich is a boring word.  A combination of several of my favourite things, it was almost – almost! good enough to make me quit moaning for a minute!

P1040067 P1040068

Snacks: Greek yoghurt with honey & grape nuts; protein smoothie

Weight today: 10 st 4lbs – after yesterday, I’ll take that with thanks!

4 comments:

  1. have you been to the doctor about your back? or maybe to a sports massage place, it sounds really painful, I hope you're feeling better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible back pain! It seems to be taking over the blogs - first Lori, now you. Although Lori knew when something happened to her.

    I sure hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrissie. Sounds like you need a session with the chiropractor. I can just picture it when they do that thing where they take your head and twist it really quickly .... OUCH! But it might relieve whatever is cricked, as it were.

    Another thought is accupuncture. It can relieve energy blockages which can cause pain when they're trapped.

    I love your portobello-halloumi stack! It looks fab and very satisfying.

    I really hope your back is feeling better tomorrow. Have you thought about swimming? (or even just floating) As your back won't be supporting the weight of your body anymore it might reduce the strain for a while.

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! I hope your back feels better soon. I've been dealing with lower back pain lately and can't ease the pain with vicodin and flexeril even though the doctor says it is probably just muscle strain. I don't know why I waste my money going to the doctor when I know they're not going to do anything for me. I hope you have a better doctor where you are. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete