Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Tuesday

Mum & her OH are here today for a visit. Lovely to have some company!

Before they arrived I walked into town for a few bits and pieces so that I wouldn’t be tempted to fall into my usual nibbling trap before a visit! It worked really well, I felt all virtuous because I’d had some exercise! Plus of course I had less hanging around time, as I had to fit in a shower and change before they arrived as well.

We went into Chepstow and explored the older parts of town near the river before going to Wetherspoons for a lunch!

P1030304

P1030302

After lunch we wandered around Chepstow a little more; then we went to the garden centre and I bought a ton of wild bird food; then we came home and, you probably guessed it, I baked!!! I have wanted to try making some buttermilk scones for a while so that’s what I did. I used dried blueberries and mixed brown and white self-raising flour, but the recipe is basically this one by Delia Smith. I made them more or less wedge shaped rather than round because I also drool when I see photos of scones on US blogs from Starbucks etc and that’s the shape they all seem to be! The egg I used was large and I had to add quite a bit of extra flour to make the dough hold together, which had me wondering if they’d be very heavy. Luckily not – they’re really tasty and quite light!

P1030317

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches and a green monster smoothie – banana & spinach

P1030296

Lunch: Wetherspoons (not very)Spicy tomato pasta with an undressed side salad

P1030306

P1030307

Dinner: Tortilla wrap with linseeds, spread with red pepper houmous, filled with turkey and salad

P1030315

P1030316

Snacks: Greek fromage frais with honey and cereal; 2 small blueberry scones; a few raisins and 3 small cubes of cheese at the garden centre farm shop.

Weight today: 10 st 4.25lbs – nearly had a heart attack!!! Then I remembered the amount of soy sauce in my dinner yesterday (even though I use reduced sodium soy sauce) and calmed down a bit!

btw, when I linked to the recipe for Firecracker Chicken yesterday I forgot to mention that because I used Half Spoon rather than sugar, and Half Spoon is about twice as sweet as sugar, I actually cut the quantity as well – in my case I used less than half the amount they recommended for sugar and it was still plenty sweet enough.

3 comments:

  1. Those scones look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. Your scones do look very nice and light. I've been a little disappointed in the past when I've used buttermilk in scones as I felt I couldn't really tell the difference. Which was annoying because then I was left with rather a lot of buttermilk and could think of no other use for it!

    That pasta looks rather lacking in sauce! Maybe it tasted better than it looked?

    Lol at you nearly having a heart attack!

    I think you did really well today in keeping the snacking under control. And you got some extra exercise too. Sounds like a wonderful day on every aspect actually. The Boat Inn looks cute - more the sort of thing I'd expect in Devon.

    BTW How is their healthy eating plan going?

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lovely day. Those scones look delicious. Enjoy your visit with your Mom and OH.

    ReplyDelete