Friday, 26 March 2010

TGI Friday!!!

I threw away most of a pack of Spelt muesli crackers this morning. They weren’t as enjoyable as the last lot I got, but I was eating one this morning anyway, and it occurred to me that I’m one of those people who

  1. Can’t stand to throw food away – even if I do understand intellectually that eating something I don’t enjoy is just as much of a waste - and
  2. If something I eat doesn’t match up to my mental image of it, instead of saying ‘oh well, I guess I don’t like it any more’ thinks ‘maybe that was a bad bite / maybe I had a funny taste in my mouth’ – and carries on not really enjoying it, hoping it’ll live up to my expectations, and still consuming the calories.

So I threw them away while the one I was eating was still fresh in my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect everything I eat to be some kind of gourmet delight, but I also don’t want to waste my limited calories on something or nothing. Now, if you don’t know me very well you might possibly interpret the above action as a sign that I’m in control, clued up, grown up, even moderate in my behaviour… maybe a little annoying…? NOT SO (well possibly annoying, but you’ll have to be the judge of that!)

After the above feat of intelligent and restrained thinking M and I went into Cardiff for a little window shopping. Well, mainly window shopping, we did get some coffee in Starbucks and I may have spent a ridiculous amount of money on not very much chocolate at Hotel Chocolat…

P1030969

P1030971

And we bought some ‘lunch’ at M&S which will be eaten for whichever meal seems appropriate when I’m willing to eat again (whenever that may be!)

We NEVER EVER go shopping or window shopping together as M is very attached to the whole online shopping concept, so while we were out anyway it seemed like a good idea to stay out for lunch. Just for a change, you know. Well. It was my idea, I cannot deny it or claim any resistance was shown, to go to TGI Fridays. OMG. This claims to be modelled on American diners I think, and while its about as authentic as a… as a… really fake thing, the portion sizes might just be genuinely inspired as claimed! I have no pictures as it was such an impulse I didn’t have my camera (or my mobile – whoops!) with me. So you’ll just have to imagine it…

Food today:

Breakfast: My breakfast looked like ass. Oatbran soaked overnight in a mixture of apple & ginger juice and Greek yoghurt, with protein powder and a chopped apple stirred in. God that looks disgusting!!!! It tasted better – slightly… The problem (aesthetically) is that instead of my usual whey I put hemp protein powder in – no-one told me that is was such a revolting colour!!! I’ll be saving that for use in smoothies from now on! Especially as it was also unflavoured…

 P1030968

Lunch: Starter – Bruschetta.  4 triangles of garlic toasted bread with a MOUNTAIN of chopped tomatoes, garlic and onions drizzled with olive oil. Lovely and fresh tasting, and M had one of the triangles of bread to help me out, but I could have been happy with half the portion (I picked it thinking it would be a lighter starter than their other offerings.)

Main course: Jack Daniels shrimp with fries and seasoned vegetables and a shared side of onion rings. I needed help with the shrimp, didn’t finish the fries, and even between us we only managed half the onion rings. I did eat all my broccoli, red peppers and green beans though! I think I can feel – and possibly hear – my arteries hardening as I type!!! It was very tasty, especially the Jack Daniels dip that accompanies the shrimp, but I would have preferred it if the breading on the shrimp had been much much lighter – halved at least, maybe even just a sprinkle instead of a full coating.  Still, moderation in all things, right – including moderation??? I will be drinking lots of fluids for the rest of the day in an attempt to flush the sodium out of my somewhat bloated body…

Dinner:  The snack I bought at M&S for lunch! At first sight this carton of soup (just add boiling water) had me thinking ‘pot noodle’ but I remembered that this method resembled that used at EAT for the wonderful soups I had in London (although they used boiling stock not just water) so I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I’ll be honest, if there’s an EAT next door to an M&S and I’m looking for lunch, I’ll be going to EAT… but for a not-too-expensive snacky meal, this one was quite tasty! And 305 calories, which isn’t bad!

P1030972 P1030973

Snack: Greek yoghurt with honey and grape nuts plus the above mentioned spelt cracker; plus M & I split two of the chocolates from the selection box I bought.

Weight today: 10 st 1.5lbs

2 comments:

  1. Like yourself I just love to walk and walk and explore. Have you ever thought about the Moonwalk event in London which I know is slightly different but a great achievement. I am hoping to complete the Cotswold way in July (100 miles) and also a 4 day event in Suffolk in September which is 4 marathons over 4 days. There's also a Macmillian walk from Cambride to Ely in May and a charity walk in Ipswich called The Orwell walk - you'd be very welcome to join me on any of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice articles. keep writing....

    ReplyDelete