Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Small changes

I’m cutting back on coffee at the moment. Every so often I decide I’m too reliant on it for energy in the mornings and start replacing it with green tea then herbal tea. I usually give up on that when I go on holiday and realise that coffee (which I generally drink black unless I’m in holiday mode) is the only zero calorie drink available to me except water (I don’t really like water and struggle to drink it at the best of times). So today instead of 2-3 cups of coffee I had one coffee and 2 mugs of hot water with a slice of lemon in it, and so far I’m not much more tired than usual. I’ll see if I end up with a caffeine withdrawal headache and maybe add a cup of tea later if I need to.

I’m thinking that maybe I need to give my brain something more interesting than my caffeine and baking addictions to work on. I am considering doing an Open University module – Understanding Human Nutrition – that starts in May. If I get on OK with that, I would also be interested in modules on ‘Challenging Obesity’ and ‘Handling Diabetes’ after that. Has anyone ever done any distance learning courses? I’m a bit unsure if my self-discipline is up to motivating myself to do the assignments without someone standing over me. I suppose that would be the advantage of choosing just one fairly small module to start with – if I prove too lazy I won’t have wasted a great deal of time and money on it. The course fee includes all the reading materials and there’s no residential component so it would be totally portable if working away. The only problem is whether I’d have time if I got a local job and had to combine work, commute, training AND studying – but the course can be done in as short a time as 2 months or as long as 5 months, so if I picked the five month option I should still have time to do it at snail’s pace. Registration doesn’t close until May so I guess I have time to think about it a bit.

My pitiful 6 minutes on the rowing machine apparently was 6 minutes too long – I guess because I was tired I didn’t focus on form enough and my back and shoulders are aching today. I probably should have just stayed on the elliptical but switched to an easier program – I’ve never managed to hurt myself on the elliptical! Its not due to rain until lunch time today so I think I’ll focus on taking a walk this morning rather than doing the 30 day shred as I was planning to.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting I would love to be able to do a short course in a nutrition or fitness type topic, I say you should go for it! I haven't done a distance learning course myself but many of my friends have. I think you need to have a bit of self motivation to get through it when doing distance but I'm sure you would be fine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked at that course but I can't afford it at the moment, I'd be really interested to hear how you find it if you do it :)

    I used to drink loads of coffee but now I only have one big cup in the morning and the rest is green tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've switched off coffee (well, this morning is an exception) and am making small tweaks as well. The trick is finding the balance that we can live with and ENJOY.

    Your coursework sounds very interesting....I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a course would definitely be something to consider. It would give you something to focus on - it sounds like you have a very lively mind and I've no doubt once you focussed your energies on something you're interested in you'd do very well!

    ReplyDelete