Monday, 22 March 2010

Good Monday to you!

Eh, who am I kidding, even in the world of unemployment Mondays suck.  We did have a mostly dry morning here, and a little sunshine this afternoon, but in between, lots of lots of rain – noisy, grey, cold and depressing rain, and a real disappointment it was after yesterday!

I still got out in the fresh air for a Vitamin D fix though. I half walked, half ran into town before the rain started this morning, although the running portion was less fun and harder work than it was the last time I tried it, several weeks ago before getting sidetracked by carrying well loaded rucksacks on my walks. Ever tried to run with a rucksack full of bottles / root vegetables bouncing on your spine? Me neither, and I’ve no plans to try it!

This afternoon I was feeling energetic – no, that’s a lie, I was feeling weirdly sleep-deprivedly hyper, and also wanted to eat a lot – so I cycled 10 miles on an exercise bike. Once again felt the discomfort in the nether regions, but it made a nice change to do something different!

I’ve come to the conclusion that just because I’m rubbish at being consistent at any form of exercise except walking, it doesn’t mean I should avoid doing anything except walking! So I plan to do whatever appeals when it appeals, and hope that, however gradually, it does shock my body into becoming a bit fitter. I know its not scientific and doesn’t approach being a real exercise plan, but I just can’t feel motivated enough right now. I’m suffering from a well-known problem for people out of work for a while – the ‘I’ll do it tomorrow’ syndrome, and its making me lazy.

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with strawberries and a mini omelette consisting of one whole egg, some mushrooms and some onion.

P1030942

Lunch: Vegetable soup and a toasted LC and ham sandwich followed by a melon medley fruit salad and a sugar free jelly made with frozen summer berries in the bottom

P1030944

P1030946 

Dinner: A chicken and mushroom lasagne portion from the freezer (made with my home-made pasta, if you remember!) with a big salad and s0me red pepper and onion slowly sauteed in olive oil a la The Hungry Yogini. Delicious!

P1030945

Snacks: A protein smoothie, some Greek Yoghurt with honey & grapenuts, a couple of No-No crackers or 3 and a small number of bite-size Dr Karg seeded spelt crackers.

Weight today: 10st 3.4 lbs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been known to back my way into a fitness routine. Sometimes I have to "trick" myself and say "just for today" I'm going to do this thing. If I thought about having to do it for a long time, or made some sort of pact or plan and didn't follow through, then I would feel like I'd failed. Sometimes you just have to find a different way to frame it.

    Maybe your plan is "whatever new and different thing, other than walking, that feels fun, interesting and filled with non-dread". I could live with a plan like that. This whole self-care things has got to have an element of enjoyment in it or it becomes something else entirely, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of random, but I couldn't find your contact email address. I saw your comment on another blog and saw that you live in wales?? My husband and I are traveling to London in June, and we are planning to spend a weekend in wales, most likely at one of the farm bed and breakfasts I've read so much about. I'd love to talk to you about visiting wales to see if you have any tips! If you're willing, send me me an email (whatmegansmaking[at]gmail[dot]com. I'd love to get your advice! :)

    ReplyDelete