Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Frome at last

A mere three or four weeks late, I finally went to Frome today. Which meant having no clue about what I would be eating for lunch. To avoid my usual pre-visit picking I decided I would just leave earlier – better to sit in a traffic jam with no excess food than sit at home eating the contents of my very well stocked kitchen! No actual training today, just a couple of hours very slow wandering around very steep hilly streets!

Mum gave me her 25+ yr old Kenwood Chef stand mixer so I can get a little mechanical help for my artisan breads (my Magimix is too compact to handle the weight of dough, so I’ve been mixing them by hand till now) – love her!

Frome was lovely – its a former mill / market town with lots of tiny narrow streets and old buildings mixed in with newer buildings. There is a big variety of of little shops, delis and boutiques so its a bit more interesting than most towns these days, that all seem to have the same few major High Street shops.

P1030436

 P1030445

 P1030452

P1030437

P1030444

P1030458

This one was a terrible temptation… but I resisted (wo)manfully…

P1030459

P1030462

And this street actually had a small stream running down a channel in the middle of it!

P1030463

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches and a protein smoothie

Lunch: Smoked haddock and cheddar fishcakes with a baked potato and small side salad, and a tartare sauce dip. The fishcakes were really tasty – better than they looked!

P1030472

We went to a different pub in the Hungry Horse chain – but this time I didn’t have room for even the ‘Smallest Dessert’ that you saw a while back. Here’s the other desserts I didn’t eat… I just snapped the picture to enjoy them vicariously!!!

P1030471

Dinner: I got back late enough not to feel like cooking so instead I bought a salad at Waitrose while picking up a takeaway for M.

P1030473

P1030474

Snacks: A slice of coconut sponge cake baked by my Mum! Yum – even though I’m not a massive fan of coconut in sweet goods!

P1030475

And a small pack of organic vanilla biscuits in Frome because I was feeling a little low-blood-sugary! They were shaped as ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’ but I didn’t realise till after I’d snapped the head off the pussycat – oops, there I go again with the mutilating of animal biscuits!!!

P1030443

After all this, plus a beer with my dinner, I was over calories today – but I haven’t been actually over much for a while so it’ll all even out (not necessarily by tomorrow’s weigh in, but that’s OK – so long as I’ve enjoyed earning it!)

Weight today: 10 st 2.4lbs

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Those owl biscuits are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were cute you mean!!! sob...

    I read an article today about 100 starlings dropping dead into a woman's garden so I am in bird induced depression today :(

    Frome looks absotively gawjis :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very delightful day!

    ReplyDelete