Friday, 12 March 2010

Friday!

First up, just to let you know that I probably won’t be posting about tomorrow until Sunday morning because – it being the Mother’s Day weekend here in the UK – I have my MiL and FiL coming over for the day tomorrow. There will be very much booze and food consumed, and probably much regret on Sunday as a result! Having said that, you know I used this visit as an excuse to bake, right??? I bought most of the food I’m supplying for tea tomorrow because we decided to have them come over at fairly short notice, so I thought doing some baking was a good idea.

First I made my favourite oatmeal raisin choc chip cookies. I used my Mum’s antique stand mixer to cream the butter and sugar, started adding the other ingredients – and the motor burned out! To be fair, its been sitting neglected in a cupboard for the last 15 years or so, so I can’t really blame it – and I’m glad I wasn’t trying to make a heavy bread dough, since of course I then had to finish it off by hand. Not a problem, and the cookies came out beautifully – don’t you agree? I used some different chocolate chips – these came from Waitrose – and so far even though the cookies themselves are cool, the chocolate is staying beautifully gooey and melty!

P1030488

P1030489

Then I made some cocoa brownies. Haven’t tasted them yet as I want them to firm up in the fridge overnight before I cut them up, but the batter was delicious!!! They look very good at the moment, and smell fantastic, so fingers crossed they also taste just as good! (Please ignore the uneven edges, I had trouble with the parchment lining the tin. Hey, that shows they’re home-made, right?) I’ll try for a better photo tomorrow when they’re ready for cutting & transferring off the parchment and onto a nice white plate!

P1030491

Another repeat of an old favourite: Quick raisin bread. I can’t remember where I got this recipe, and I have altered it a bit, so I’ll put it in here:

Quick Raisin Bread

Ingredients:

141 gm raisins

250 ml boiling water

2 level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

2 level tablespoons butter or margarine

41 gm Half Spoon / Splenda

1 large egg

75 gm Wholemeal self raising flour

80 gm white self raising flour

153 gm plain flour

Method:

Place raisins in a bowl, sprinkle over bicarbonate of soda and pour on boiling water; leave to soak for 1 hr.

15 mins before the end of soaking time set oven to heat to 170 degrees C.

Cream together butter or margarine and sugar. Beat in egg and add raisin mixture.

Sift flours into the raisin mixture and mix well.

Place batter in lightly greased loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.

P1030494

Food today:

Breakfast: Overnight soaked oatbran. I mixed vanilla whey, oatbran, soya milk, raisins and a banana with some Greek yoghurt and left it in the fridge overnight. I realised this morning that I’d intended to add some chia seeds as well, but it was so thick (some might say solid!) that I could have eaten it with a knife and fork, so it wasn’t missed! It was delicious but looked very bland and I couldn’t get a decent picture

Lunch: Marmite veggie soup with a delicious sandwich – Nimble bread, spread with pesto sauce (just a  store-bought sauce) then topped with Chavroux goat’s cheese and chopped cherry tomatoes. Delicious! I love the combination of pesto and goat’s cheese and haven’t had it for ages! Followed by a hot cross bun…

P1030485

P1030486

P1030487

Dinner: Vegetable stir fry with tofu in hoisin chilli marinade for protein

 P1030492

Snacks: My usual Greek yoghurt combo and half a cookie to taste test! (and prove to M that I need to buy a new stand mixer so I can make more!)

Weight today: No idea!!! Last night’s beer led to a little bit of later snacking – on toast with jam and peanut butter – so I decided discretion was the better part of dieting and avoided the scales!!!

Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

  1. Wow, all of that cooking looks amazing, especially the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time today! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yumyumyumyumyum! Hope you have a lovely time with your visitors.

    ReplyDelete