Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Feeling pissy today

Probably because its TOM – yay! Not.

Still, I’m happy on one account – I got my brand new Kenwood Chef today (to replace the 30yr old one my Mum gave me and I killed). I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that I washed it as soon as it was unpacked, and used it as soon as it was dry… I mixed up the dough for another Artisan bread, this one 100% spelt bread, and after the 2 hr rise at room temperature it had risen at least 50% more than any other bread I’ve made from the book mixing by hand. It could be coincidence, but there are less ingredients that could help bread to rise in this recipe than any of the others I’ve tried – literally just wholemeal spelt flour, vital wheat gluten, yeast, salt, & water… so I’m pretty sure that it is the mixer I have to thank!

I didn’t go for a walk today, which no doubt is also responsible for the pissy mood. I was waiting in for the mixer, and then when it came it looked like rain, so I used the gym instead. As Roxie pointed out, just doing what doesn’t fill you with dread is as good a plan as any for getting some exercise! I did HIIT on the elliptical walker for 20 mins, then decided to add 20 mins on the rowing machine. Yeah, that didn’t happen. I worked so hard on the elliptical, I barely managed 6 minutes on the rower before giving up.  Funny thing is, I then read this post by Leslie of Something Brilliant is Brewing and realised I was also kind of embarrassed to only last 6 minutes myself – and there was no-one around at all to notice but me!!!

I then had my lunch and considered going out for that walk… I changed my clothes, got myself ready and came down to see rain. Bloody typical! So I resisted eating lots more stuff (at that point anyway) and resisted mixing up another dough (at that point, anyway…) and settled for chopping loads of veg for a vat of soup.

I still ate a little too much today, and I’m now cheering myself up with a pint of beer, but I didn’t go as crazy as I wanted to, and I’m not going to – even if I have to get into bed at 6pm (with a laptop) to avoid the kitchen!

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with strawberries and a small bacon sandwich – low fat bacon of course!

P1030947

Lunch: Soup with a small chicken breast and some spinach added and toast with LC followed by a fruit jelly

P1030948

Dinner: Grilled haddock fillet (rubbed with a commercial blend of sea salt, lemon grass, dill and fennel seeds that I bought at a local farm shop – I wasn’t sure about it, but it was really nice) with stir fried vegetables (a frozen mix that I’m using up because they’re garbage!). I made a little flavouring for the vegetables by mixing together sriracha, oyster sauce and soy sauce, and stir fried the vegetables with garlic and ginger pastes.

P1030949

Snacks: Greek Yoghurt with honey & grapenuts in the morning. A protein smoothie and a gingerbread Nak’d bar (that wasn’t planned, but a while after the smoothie I found myself feeling a bit low blood-sugary and the bar helped) and while messing around with the soup I ate quite a few bite sized seeded spelt crackers. The food calories came in under my target, but the beer soon sorted that out!

Weight today: 10st 2.25 lbs

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chrissie,

    Thanks for your great comment today! I laughed when you said we should have an unblogging conference....interesting human nature, huh?

    I'm not sure what a Kenwood Chef is, but gather it must be some sort of breadmaker? I love that you make artisan breads. I used to love baking bread, but these days I wouldn't trust myself with the finished product, esp. if there was butter around!

    Your food looks great. The bacon sandwich inspired me for dinner....why not? Funny you mentioned getting ready to walk and finding it raining...same thing just happened to me after I got home from acupuncture and lunch with a friend. Mother Nature's telling me to lighten up a little for the knee!

    ReplyDelete