Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Relaxing visit

Well, Mum and her OH are here, so just a quick post today! I started off the day with a food hangover (I have to admit that after my post yesterday I had a bowl of cereal, some peanut butter, more raisins and an apple…) and as always wanted more unhealthy food. I had a very healthy and satisfying breakfast, deliberately choosing not to have anything sweet, but presumably my blood sugar had dropped so mid-morning, just before they arrived, I started in on the peanut butter, bread and jam etc. Once they arrived though I managed to get a grip on things happily!

I baked this afternoon again – a banana and ginger teabread for Mum and a loaf of ‘Healthy Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day’ for myself. This bread is WONDERFUL. I made enough dough for 2 loaves of roasted garlic bread – that meant roasting a head of garlic to mix into the dough yesterday. When I took the dough out of the fridge to bake it it didn’t smell garlicky at all; even after warming up to room temperature it still didn’t, but while baking it certainly did! Once it was done the smell faded but the flavour of sweet, mellow roasted garlic was quite pronounced and totally amazing – my Mum is raving over it!!!

Food today:

Breakfast: Tortilla wrap with added linseeds, used to wrap up some microwaved eg whites, saut̩ed mushrooms, onion, quorn sausage and spinach, salsa, avocado and a smidgeon of low fat cheese РYum! It took 2 hands to hold it together, and was very tasty!

P1030141

Lunch: A family recipe from my father’s family we call Panackelty (I think its proper name is Pan Haggerty). This is a Northern recipe (my dad’s family come from Sunderland) and was originally just a way to stretch out leftovers. The way we do it is simple; very thinly slice carrots, potatoes, onions, and in my case parsnip and sweet potato as well. Brown 2 low fat sausages per person. Layer the vegetables, the sausages and 2 rashers of low fat bacon per person in a large casserole. Season the top and pour over a litre of stock – a mixture of chicken and vegetable stock. Traditionally you then add a layer of cheese but my dad won’t eat cheese so I never had it that way and don’t see the need! Bake at 180 degrees for between 60 and 90 minutes. You then eat it with lots of bread to soak up the stock. Its one of my favourites but I rarely make it so it was lovely to have it today – and I cooked lots of extra vegetables to give myself some very tasty soup for lunch tomorrow. It looks a little bland, but it tastes great (and smells heavenly while cooking!)

P1030143

Dinner: A poppy seed knot roll with ham, cucumber and tomatoes; also a tiny ham sandwich made with the roasted garlic bread to  try it. I didn’t photograph either sandwich but here’s the bread. The texture and crumb are brilliant too!

P1030145

P1030146

Snacks: As I said above… I’m hoping that behaving myself for the majority of today will have settled down my blood sugar levels enough to stop another binge tomorrow!

Weight today: A nasty horrible TEMPORARY 10 st 6 lbs….

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie. Glad you had a great day with your mum. That roasted garlic bread sounds INCREDIBLE!

    I cannot really do veg for breakfast, but your wrap does look very good.

    I am from the north but not that far north - Yorkshire - I've never had that dish. I wondered to myself why the name sounded so familiar. But I may have been remembering Peggity, a Dickens character!

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lovely day with your Mum! Your food looks so good. I want to try the 5 min bread - I have heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete