Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Not a bad day today

Food wise, walk-wise, and weather-wise – although nothing to speak of on the job-hunting front. Ah well.

Mum & her OH stayed the night last night, and headed off this morning after the rush hour. Having them here, as well as being great just because, was also helpful in breaking me out of the binging cycle I seemed to be falling into. Once they came I ate completely to plan, didn’t even try the banana ginger teabread I made for them, and didn’t mind either!

I went into town about 10:30 this morning, once again splitting the outward journey between running and walking. I’m definitely managing to run a bit further each time; today I timed my journey to the town centre and knocked about 10-12 minutes off my usual walking time, so I was pleased about that! So pleased I wasn’t even tempted to buy naughty stuff while I was there!

This afternoon I killed a couple of hours watching ‘Perfume – The Story of a Murderer’. I know its not exactly a new movie – M watched it ages ago and told me to give it a go. I didn’t hate it but didn’t love it either – I would have cut it down by about 30 minutes and I thought the ending was ridiculous. Ah well, the afternoon went quite fast! I made some bran muffins while I watched, I find a lot of TV watching goes better if you don’t give it ALL your attention!

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches

Lunch: Soup made by blending up the veg and stock from yesterdays Panackelty, with a laughing cow, ham salad sandwich.

P1030148

Dinner Around the World in 80 meals – Vegetarian Pad Thai. I got the recipe from http://thaifood.about.com but the full link doesn’t work properly so I’ll just paste it here:

“Vegetarian Pad Thai

  • 5g Almonds, Whole, Tesco
  • 2 Servings/8g Spring Onions, Tesco
  • 3½ Tbsps/52.5ml Sauce, Soy, Reduced Salt, Amoy
  • 20ml Oil, Peanut, Average
  • 4 Cloves/12g Garlic, Raw, Average
  • 100g Bean Sprouts, Mung, Raw, Average
  • 1½oz/42g Sugar, Brown, Soft, Tesco
  • 0.3 Serving/9ml Sauce, Chilli & Garlic, Blue Dragon
  • 1 Serving/250ml Stock Cubes, Vegetable Bouillon, Yeast Free, Made Up, Marigold
  • 8oz/224g Noodles, Rice, Dry, Amoy
  • 10g Coriander, Leaves, Fresh, Average
  • ¾ Tbsp/11.3g Tamarind, Paste, Barts
  • 10g Shallots, Raw, Average
  • 1 Serving/100g Bok Choy, Tesco
  • 2 Eggs/118g Eggs, Medium, Free Range, Organic, Columbian Blacktail, Waitrose

Method

http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes /r/padthaiveg.htm
•8 oz. (SERVES 2) Pad Thai rice noodles (thin, flat linguini-like noodles)
•2 eggs (vegans can substitute 1/2 cup soft tofu - see instructions below*)
•4 cloves garlic, minced
•1 shallot (OR 1/4 cup purple onion), finely chopped
•3-4 "heads" of baby bok choy, or other Chinese cabbage, roughly chopped
•2 cups bean sprouts
•2 green onions, sliced
•1/3 cup fresh coriander/cilantro
•1/4 cup ground (or well-chopped) peanuts (OR substitute cashews or slivered almonds)
•PAD THAI SAUCE:
•3/4 Tbsp. tamarind paste (available at Asian/East Indian food stores)
•1/4 cup hot water
•3+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce)
•1/2 to 2 tsp. chili sauce (to taste), OR 1-2 fresh red chilies, minced
•3 Tbsp. brown sugar
•OTHER:
•3-4 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
•2-3 Tbsp. vegetable or faux chicken stock
•lime wedges for serving
Preparation:
1.Bring a pot of water to a boil and remove from heat. Soak noodles in the hot water for 6-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Tip: Noodles are ready to drain when they are soft enough to eat, but still firm and a little bit "crunchy". The noodles will finish cooking when they are fried.
2.Dissolve the tamarind paste in the hot water. Add the other pad thai sauce ingredients and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add as much or as little chili sauce as you prefer, but don't skimp on the sugar (you need it to balance the sourness of the tarmaind). Reserve.
3.Place your wok (or large frying pan) over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp. oil plus the garlic and shallot. Stir-fry 1 minute to release the fragrance.
4.Add the bok choy plus the stock. Stir-fry 2 minutes, or until bok choy is bright green and slightly softened.
5.Push ingredients aside and add 1/2 Tbsp. more oil to the center of the wok/pan. Add the eggs (if using) and stir-fry briefly to scramble them.
6.Push eggs aside and add a little more oil to the middle of the wok/pan. Now add the drained noodles and 1/3 of the sauce. Stir-fry everything together for 1 minute using 2 utensils and a tossing motion (like tossing a salad).
7.Add a little more sauce and continue stir-frying in the same way for 1-2 more minutes, or until the noodles begin to soften and become sticky. Reduce heat to medium if noodles begin to stick and burn.
8.Add the bean sprouts plus the remaining sauce. Stir-fry to incorporate everything together for 1-3 more minutes, or until noodles are done. Noodles are cooked to perfection when they are soft but still deliciously chewy and a little bit sticky.
9.Remove from heat and taste-test, adding more vegetarian fish sauce or soy sauce if desired for more salt/flavor.
10.To serve, scoop noodles onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with the green onion, coriander/cilantro, and ground nuts. Add wedges of fresh-cut lime on the side. Serve immediately and ENJOY!. (Thai chili sauce can also be served on the side for those who likes their noodles extra spicy).“

I used rice vermicelli instead of flat rice noodles because it was what I had. The almonds should really have been chopped peanuts, but I don’t trust myself with peanuts in the house!

P1030149

It was very tasty (not very photogenic, admittedly – even by my standards!) but had nowhere near enough veggies for my taste. It did make a big portion (but I managed to eat it all!!!) so if I make it again (probably will) I’d be tempted to halve the recipe and stir fry a big pan of vegetables to go with it. Live and learn! The recipe looked quite complicated the first time I looked at it so I did the TV chef trick of chopping, measuring and mixing as needed before I started (I should always do that, but rarely think of it in time!) and it came together really easily in the end.

Snacks: A slice of roasted garlic bread spread with a tiny amount of houmous;

P1030147 

a protein smoothie; a mini babybel light and a tiny bit of peanut butter.

Weight this morning: 10 st 5.5 lbs.

3 comments:

  1. I think the pad thai looks wonderful, if a bit complicated. Glad to know it can be easier than it looks!

    It sounds like you did have a great day with your Mum staying over night. A break in the cycle is sometimes a good thing. I'm sorry there is not encouraging news on the job front. I know that has to be frustrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. Yes, looks like a good day.

    I saw Perfume when it was on TV recently. 2 problems with it: no sexual angle at all in the main character which seemed weird given what he was up to, and as you say, the ridiculous ending. Maybe that ending read a lot better than it came out on film? I don't know.

    I've only ever had Thai a few times and that was when I was in London. Obviously before I became allergic to soy sauce!

    It does look like a lot of noodles on the plate. I think it would be great with extra veggies added in esp broccoli and mange tout.

    Hope tomorrow is as good!

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I saw that perfume film on TV recently as well (well about an hour of it). I was sickened by it but I kept watching just to see how it ended. I should have just looked up Wikipedia, which is what I normally do when I want to see what happens in a film but can't be arsed to watch it....the ending was particularly repulsive...urgh!

    ReplyDelete