Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Best laid plans

Frome is a market town in Somerset. My Mum & her OH go there most weeks, but I haven’t been for years. As I’ve been getting cabin fever the last week or two, and as I’m clinging to the belief that I’ll find a job before long, I decided it was time to start doing some of the things I’ve been letting slide so I can be sure of ‘fitting them in’ before its too late! Unfortunately I had no clue what we’d be doing about lunch (Frome doesn’t have a Wetherspoons!!!), and no solid idea of when I’d be getting home, as we were planning to visit my brother in the afternoon, so no idea what time I’d be eating dinner. You all know how crazy I get when the day’s food is totally off plan; I considered having a smaller breakfast than usual to save calories for later, but as you can see, I decided against that idea. My theory was that if I had a more filling breakfast I might stand a chance of resisting the urge to eat constantly until I left (plus I had breakfast as 2 courses, so it took a while to eat the whole thing). It worked! Instead of nibbling all morning, I only ate what was on the plan! And then the rain changed all our plans, and we didn’t go to Frome after all! I still went to visit Mum at home, we still went out for lunch – at a local pub/restaurant called The West End

P1030177

P1030180

– and we still visited my brother. And I did meet his cat, who was very handsome, but wasn’t very interested in me!

P1030191

However, because we didn’t go to Frome I didn’t get any picturesque photographs of an attractive market town – better luck next time I suppose!

Food today:

Breakfast: Weight watchers baked beans on toast; All bran with peaches

Lunch: I was going to be good and have a salad (roast chicken and bacon salad) but the salad sounded quite boring – just mixed leaves and tomato wedges with a reduced fat dressing (no description of the dressing) so instead I had fish pie. I’ve had better fish pie – it was a little dry and the fish kind of disappeared under the mash – but it was very tasty, (I think the potatoes had been mashed with the liquid used to poach the fish so the flavour was great) and filling

P1030181

Then Mum’s OH wanted a dessert…  luckily they had something called The Smallest Dessert (it cost 69p!) that was intriguing enough to appeal to Mum & I:

P1030182

P1030183

Both the pub and the dessert were too dark to photograph well, but I hope you can tell it was a shot glass filled with chocolate mousse topped with a swirl of whipped cream – the perfect size after a filling meal!

Dinner: Barley split pea vegetable soup; laughing cow and salad sandwich. OK, I know this sounds weird, but I really fancied roast Brussels sprouts, so I roasted a batch and reduced the soup down a bit to make it into a sauce for the sprouts!

P1030193

P1030194

Snacks: Falafels – I love these, and making my own is on my list for a future ‘Round the World’ meal! I put them in a little plastic bag and took them with me so that I had some control over part of the day’s meals at least! I also had half of one of my brother’s rock buns – I was too full for a whole one!

Didn’t drink enough liquid today – I rarely do on days when I’m out of the house all day – must try to make up for it this evening a bit!

Weight today: 10 st 3.4lbs

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie. The rain was bad here too in the morning. Very heavy (and in the night).

    Oooo! Those gorgeous furry flanks! I'm one those people that cats and small children make a b-line for! No idea why, given that I like cats, but not small children.

    That dessert is a great idea. I've never been anywhere where they did anything like it. I hope it catches on!

    I was in Wetherspoons myself today with the Bear. I chose the Salmon with jacket pot and veg. It's the first decent meal I've ever had there!

    Glad you had a good day despite a change in plan.

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fun day! I want to try to make falafel too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mini deserts are such a good idea, sometimes you just want something a little bit sweet to end a meal, but not something thats going to make you feel stuffed and sickly xx

    ReplyDelete