Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Wednesday, rain, sleet and snow

All the bad weather types in one dreary day today! Luckily I didn’t plan on going for a walk as I have felt a little sub-par today – just tired, possibly because I haven’t had a day off exercise for over a week.

Any how, I drove to Waitrose through very wet falling snow earlier for a few bits (managed to resist buying naughty treats even though I kind of wanted to…) and came back to indulge my cooking tendencies!!!

Last week I received this book from Amazon. I had to buy some extra ingredients before I could get started – mainly vital wheat  gluten to hopefully allow me to make some wholemeal bread that doesn’t weigh a ton and come out like a sad brown brick – whether that works will be discovered tomorrow when I bake my first loaf of quinoa bread, as the dough is now slowly maturing in the refrigerator. But that wasn’t all I wanted to do today – it was time for a ‘Round the World in 80 meals’ day! I nearly didn’t make this recipe at the last minute because I can’t tell you what country it originated in! The recipe came from this book, and while most of the recipes in there specify the exact country, these two didn’t! Then I decided that was a stupid reason to change my plans as I really liked the look of it, so I went ahead anyway – we’ll just have to call it ‘Middle Eastern Leek Meatballs’ and Burghul Pilav. If anyone thinks they sound at all familiar, please let me know where they do come from and don’t hate me for my ignorance! The reason I liked the sound of the meatballs was that they are a lot lighter than most meatballs due to containing twice as much leek as meat. I used beef mince because I had it, lamb was an option too, and they were cooked by simmering them in a sauce of lemon juice, water and butter after being browned in oil. The burghul pilav was very plain – just bulgar wheat simmered in vegetable stock than left to absorb the remaining stock and a small quantity of butter off the heat – but tasted surprisingly rich and filling. It also made a GIGANTIC portion so I only served up half and kept the other half for another day.

Food today:

Breakfast: All bran with peaches

Lunch: Nimble with laughing cow and vegetable soup (to which I added chick peas, borlotti beans and cooked spelt berries that I bought at Waitrose – they thickened the soup up amazingly!) with a side serving of steamed broccoli and green beans just because.

P1020878

Dinner: Middle Eastern Leek Meatballs with bulgar pilaff, grilled asparagus & aubergine. Delicious, I’m glad to have another portion for another day, and very satisfying!

P1020881

Snacks: Didn’t have a morning snack because I just wasn’t hungry. This afternoon I just had a box of raisins, a little peanut butter, a sugar free Strawberry jelly – oh yes, and one of my cookies from yesterday ;-)

Weight this morning: 10 st 1.5 lbs (not that I believe that – I’ve had what must politely be described as an ‘upset stomach’ today…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chrissie. I am not a meatball person really, but those ones sound wonderful - esp with that lemon juice in there - I can almost taste it now! Twice as much leek as meat is unusual, but very healthy.

    I used to eat borlotti beans quite a lot as they have fewer calories than many beans, and leech a lot of starch into stews or soups, making them rich and thick in the process.

    Hope you feel better tomorrow.

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete