Wednesday, 13 January 2010

A walk in the snow

Well, it snowed again – all night and most of the morning. But its warmer than it was last week, so since it stopped, around lunchtime, its already started thawing quite quickly. I keep catching glimpses of lumps of snow falling off the trees and gutters out of the corner of my eye – very disconcerting!

I walked into town this morning, I wanted to go to the library mostly. It was snowing very lightly on the way – really just a cold tickle on my face when a flake landed on my skin – but it got a lot heavier as I was coming home again:

P1020828

P1020826

(random photo of a dog who seemed to want to pose for posterity)

and I was finding walking through the fields absolutely exhausting – probably my own fault for being childish and ‘trail breaking’ through the deep untouched snow instead of walking in the tracks of people who’d already been there. Somehow I just find it more satisfying to make the first footprints in a pristine white expanse of snow – must be the only vandal-istic inclination I have! And I suffered for it – by the time I got home my legs ached worse than they did after doing 1000,000 downwards facing dogs in an hour! That never happens from a normal walk… I can feel it doing me good!  Annoyingly the cars driving past me on the way into town sprayed my legs with slushy brown crap, from ankle to knee, so I had to wash my jeans as soon as I got home. Thanks for that…

Food today:

Breakfast: Poached eggs on toast

P1020811

Lunch: Turkey vegetable soup and a grilled vegetable-low fat cheddar sandwich

P1020829

P1020830

Dinner: Saucy roast sausages with lentils – for the first time made with non-low fat sausages (pork with sea salt, sage and black pepper) and I substituted some of the stock used to cook the lentils with a little apple juice to see how that went with the pork. The answer was, the sausages were delicious but I couldn’t taste the apple juice at all :-( I didn’t want it to be overpowering, just a hint of sweetness, but I guess I didn’t use enough. Ah well! Served with roasted brussels sprouts to which, after years of saying I wasn’t keen on them, I am now becoming addicted… on Sunday I ate a load of leftovers straight out of the tin and called them supper ;-)

P1020842

Snacks: Muller light yoghurt,

P1020819

protein smoothie, raisins and peanut butter. For some reason I’ve been craving fatty foods today – hence the eggs and peanut butter. Looking for insulation against the cold perhaps?

Weight this morning: 10 st 2.5 lbs

2 comments:

  1. mmmm....brussel sprouts!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. Eggs for breakfast are surprisingly satisfying I have found recently.

    I love brussels too!

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete