Sunday, 17 January 2010

The sun is shining

And I enjoyed my walk into town this morning, so that was good! If splashy because the ground is now thoroughly thawed and totally waterlogged!

Food today:

Breakfast: Chocolate porridge! A porridge made of wheat bran, oat bran, water, soy milk, chocolate nut whey powder  and a small banana to be precise. Plus one little square of 99% cocoa chocolate – horrible stuff to eat, but it melted in there well and the sweeteners in the whey powder took the edge of the bitterness quite nicely!

P1020853

Lunch: Split pea & vegetable soup with low cal bread and laughing cow sprinkled with about half a teaspoon of mixed seeds – I’m trying to get used to eating some every day.

P1020854

Dinner: A new thing for me – pasta!!! Yes, I’ve cooked pasta before – in the sense that I’ve boiled water and thrown in some dried fusilli or spaghetti – but today, for the first time in my life, I made the pasta first!!! I bought a pasta maker just before Christmas intending mainly to use the rollers to give me very thin dough for home-made spelt crackers. I haven’t tried that yet, but once I decided on my ‘Round the World in 80 meals’ challenge I knew the day would come when I made my own pasta! Ordinarily I use wholemeal pasta but for my first experiment I played it safe and went with all-white flour – next time I’ll start adding in wholemeal flour. I did a very simple tomato sauce to go with it so I didn’t have to worry too much about that. It turned out quite well and really looked the part, don’t you think? Now I’ll be able to experiment with different flavourings, I’m thinking tomato, spinach, roasted garlic possibly, chilli for sure… if anyone has any other exciting suggestions I’d love to hear them!!!

P1020856

P1020855

P1020857

P1020858

Snacks: Muller light yoghurt, protein smoothie, raisins, some peanut butter

Weight today a very depressing 10 st 4.1 lbs…

2 comments:

  1. I adore handmade pasta. My grandmother used to make handmade/homemade noodles/pasta. Old German recipe and they were divine! I bet yours was good as well.

    Inspired by you, I went on a long walk yesterday and another, shorter one today.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. I went through a phase of having chocolate porridge every morning. I used a couple of Options sachets to get the chocolate taste though.

    Your pasta looks very nice! I'd be too worried to have anything like that though because I'd be fantasising about making my own ravioli with plenty of cheese. It wouldn't be a good thing for me ...

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete