Friday, 13 November 2009

Ow ow ow

I have back pain today - first time in ages! I guess maybe I threw something off balance when my hip was bothering me yesterday? Any how, I slept fairly badly because I wasn't very comfortable, forced myself to stay in bed until 6:30 despite waking up finally at 4:45, and when I got up - ow!!! Today may be even more restful than I'd planned!
I've had back trouble since I was about 12 or 13, when I pulled a muscle playing volleyball (my PE teachers thought that the best way to warm up for a game involving jumping, stretching and bending was to run twice round the sports hall.... not so much!
I had lots of doctors visits and physiotherapy as a teenager, none of which helped much - I think they couldn't understand why it didn't get better so they just threw anything they could at it in the hope it would help. X rays, sonic machines... I had bi-weekly physio sessions that actually left me in agony for the next day for a while!
Because I had so much back pain (plus I'm lazy - and I had big boobs and no sports bra) I didn't like PE much anyway (though I was a very good sprinter before then) so I used it as an excuse to avoid PE for the rest of my school career. If it hadn't been for that, maybe I'd never have got overweight - or not to the same degree anyway. Nowadays I'd just like to invent a time machine and go back (bearing a variety of sizes of sports bras) and smack myself round the back of the head till I started getting some exercise at least... Once I did start exercising, in my mid-twenties, I found my back pain improved dramatically (not surprising as I believe exercise is now the doctor's recommendation to strengthen the back - at the time I needed to hear that it was more common to be told to 'rest it') and these days it usually takes something on the scale of a house move with lots of heavy awkward lifting to set me off. Usually...
Expect more whinging later - unless the ibuprofen kicks in!
Stay Healthy

Chrissie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chrissie. Oh dear. Strange and annoying that you put one thing out - your hip in this case - and it has a knock on effect on other things. Indeed the knock on effects are often worse than the original problem.

    I think you're so hard on yourself in this post. No-one likes PE! I avoided it completely in the 5th form. I don't think you should be down on yourself. You were just doing what teenagers do. And of course the medical advice you received wasn't brilliant.

    Back problems are very tricky. I hope that a few days of rest will help.

    Be careful!
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete