Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Normal Service is resumed

Hello everybody! Hope you had a good Wednesday! Mine was wet and depressing - the weather, not me!
I got no exercise today because I woke with a splitting headache that put me off the gym, and the weather put me off going for a walk. Of course the headache cleared eventually and then it was only my laziness that held me back. Why is it so much harder for me to motivate myself later in the day? First thing I can usually make myself do something, but in the afternoon or evening - not so much!
I had a wonderful chore to do today, one of my favourites... I went to get my legs (and some other bits) waxed. What a delightful half hour! Actually, it wasn't as bad as it usually is because I spent the whole time talking to the beautician about the benefits of healthy diet and exercise over fad diets! I always enjoy that, especially when - as today - the other person agrees with me!
Food today:
Breakfast:
All bran with tinned peaches, and - for protein - pineapple cottage cheese on top! It was a yummy change, though I don't like cottage cheese enough to make it a regular thing.
Lunch:
Split pea and vegetable soup au naturel apart from crumbling a couple of pieces of firecracker cornbread onto it, and a satsuma

Dinner:
Something I used to do quite often, then forgot for a while. I wanted some stuffed pasta, but couldn't think of an appealing sauce to eat with it. The pasta was stuffed with pumpkin and pine-nut puree, and the recommended accompaniment on the package was olive oil, parmesan & fresh sage. I can't really fancy pasta tossed with olive oil, it makes me picture some kind of oil slick on the plate, but I didn't think it would go with a more normal tomato or cheese based sauce. Instead I cooked a very light broth flavoured with garlic salt and dried sage, with vegetables - carrots, squash, onion, peppers, celery and asparagus - and cooked the pasta in it, then served it as a sort of Italianesque variation on wonton soup. So much lighter and fresher than the normal sauces - or it would've been lighter if I hadn't made about a gallon of broth - and eaten it all!!!

Snacks:
Protein smoothie topped with chia seeds, cacao nibs and raisins;
protein bar; fromage frais with honey... and a small amount of gammon that I couldn't resist eating while portioning up the rest to freeze it so it won't be looking at me every time I open the fridge. Plus a little artison bread that I shouldn't have eaten while waiting for the pasta & broth to cook, some more raisins, a little frozen banana and a very little peanut butter... yes, I've been nibbling all day again!
Tomorrow I'm off to visit my Mum. We're going to Devizes, a little market town in Wiltshire, and having lunch in Wetherspoons - so aof course I'll be aiming to have the five bean chili! Haven't been to Devizes for about 15 years, so I'm looking foreward to it - and I'll try for some good photos for you!
Stay Healthy

Chrissie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie,

    I wish I was more of a first thing in the morning kind of exerciser. I think the key is knowing when you are most inclined to exercise and to try to work within that window. I tend to be at my best in the mid to late afternoon for exercise. Hang in there. It is harder for me to stay up when the weather is gloomy. Have a nice time with your Mum tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. So many people find it best to exercise first thing in the morning. I think it was Marks Daily Apple that had a piece a while back about a study which found that willpower was much stronger earlier in the day and gradually weakened as the day went on. Did we need scientific research to tell us this?!

    Personally I do best in the afternoon or evening because it takes me about 3 hours to wake up after actually getting out of bed.

    Hope you have a lovely time tomorrow and I look forward to the photos because I've never been to Devizes.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete