Saturday, 24 October 2009

I baked today!

I may have mentioned once or twice that I like to bake - but can't let myself because I looooove to eat the results!
I've also frequently mentioned that I'm slightly hooked on a few crackers that I've bought. (Dr Karg, I love you....) But they're expensive, and I'm trying to cut back - so I decided to make some. I chose spicy polenta cheese crackers because 1) I had all the ingredients except for buttermilk in the house and 2) I'm not as big a fan of cheese-flavoured savoury baked goods as I am of many others - so I'm more likely to be able to resist them.
I've just tried one, and though I do quite like them, this remains the case! Still, they'll keep for 2 weeks, and I will definitely be willing to eat them in that time. Now I need to find another recipe to use up the pot of buttermilk, as I used relatively little of it. I halved the recipe in case I didn't like the cheesiness. This is the first time I've baked my own crackers, and it was fun - but next time I'll make seeded crackers or flavour them with herbs instead. Maybe sea salt and rosemary would be nice... See, there will be a next time...
I made them kind of rustic and home-made looking, aren't they pretty?

Stay Healthy

Chrissie

2 comments:

  1. Chrissie,

    The crackers are beautiful. The rosemary and sea salt sound like a good addition. I'm with you on the "no baking", as I try to avoid all baked goods. I've made my own flaxseed crackers but tend to overeat even those, so that was out. Glad you have found a solution that allows baking and healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie. It's unusual for people to bake their own crackers isn't it. My grandmother used to do lots of baking but I still remember my surprise the day she baked some crackers! Her's were very buttery though. And flaky. And melty.

    I recently had a selection box of crackers from Fudges Bakery and some of them had rosemary in. I didn't think they'd be very nice because I always associate rosemary with lamb and I don't like lamb, but they were the best in the box!

    I also love poppy seed crackers. I love crunching through all the little seeds!

    I could never bake cheese crackers for myself - I LOVE them! I'd just eat the whole lot. I like Dr Karg as well. I can't buy a packet or I'll just eat a huge number of them. I see you having just one at a meal and think how restrained you are!

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete