Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Hampton Court Palace

What a great day! When I originally decided to come back to London this week one of the reasons was to go to see the Mousetrap, which has matinee performances on Tuesdays. Yesterday as I was in Leicester Square any way I was looking at the discount ticket offices and realised I wasn't in the mood - so instead I decided to visit Hampton Court Palace. My father visited it a few months ago and was so impressed I guess it rubbed off on me!
I started the day with a 3 mile run in the hotel gym - small but adequate - and a home-made carrot-bran muffin as post-training snack. I then went to subway for a breakfast sub - I got the Club in a lite 6" honey oat roll stuffed with salad and had a Costa coffee to ward off caffeine withdrawal headache.

The journey to Hampton Court Palace was straight forward (with a small sprint through Clapham Junction for my connecting train) and in I headed. Its a beautiful building, but I preferred the Tudor bits to the later additions.

I started with the tour of Henry VIII's kitchens (where else would a food obsessed blogger start???) and this was a fascinating tour - the scale of the cooking facilities, and the implied scale of the cooking, was amazing, and the audio tour of this section was excellent.



I then did a tour of Henry VIII's apartments. This was also very interesting, but there was no audio tour for this section so I didn't feel it was as easy to learn about these areas.


After this tour I went to lunch in the Tiltyard Cafe. I had what seemed like a very healthy main course - seared beef salad - and followed it with today's treat - a flourless chocolate brownie. The salad was expensive, the brownie was good value, both were tasty, and the brownie left me too full for my planned granola bar for mid-afternoon snack.


After lunch I went to the more modern wing of the Palace - William III's apartments and the Georgian apartments. I didn't like this section of the tour as much as the Tudor bits, so I skipped Mary II's apartments.

Next was the gardens, with some lovely vistas:




Then I hit my usual culture wall so I went out, wandered around Hampton Court itself for a while, stopping in an M&S Simply Food store for dinner - classic salad, lochmuir hot smoked salmon with potato salad & watercress packaged salad, and a melon medley for dessert. All in all, not a bad diet day, a bit less walking but plenty of sightseeing - and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! And tomorrow I'm off to Windsor for the day - unless my plans get tweaked again, but I can't think of anything else I particularly want to fit in before Thursday

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris. Glad you're having such a great time in London and managing to eat healthily too. That meal at Hampton Court looks AMAZING. Both the salad and the choc brownie - looks so moist! I'm so happy that you're doing well with your eating.

    I've been to Hampton Court quite a few times myself and it is beautiful. I went a couple of times when the flower show was on, but I think it's nice to concentrate on the buildings themselves. Great photos. I love the borders and the trees. Brings back so many memories for me. You seem to do that a lot!

    I've been to Windsor as well - Queen Mary's Doll's House was the highlight for me. My mother had given me a wonderful book on it but I still wanted to see it in real life. Don't know if it is still displayed there though.

    And Windsor itself is a lovely place to walk round.

    Maybe the Mousetrap would be better to see with someone else rather than on your own?

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete