Friday, 18 September 2009

Decisions, decisions...

My breakfast - in case you couldn't imagine the all bran with blackberries and strawberries yesterday Free Emoticons

I was planning to spend next week - Monday to Thursday - up in London again. Now I'm struggling to decide if that's a good idea. I want to get back to my target weight before the holiday in November, but since we got home from Norway I've been struggling to get back on track. Now I'm feeling more in control, (Tuesday's lunch notwithstanding) and I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to stay home, in control, and shift at least 1 stubborn, annoying pound, rather than risk another week wasted and another pound gained. What would you do?
One bit of me is saying that I should go because I can't make my whole life about dieting - after all, the diet is supposed to make my life better, not take it over altogether, and it has to be sustainable in the long term; the other part is saying that I have a specific goal, and an end date that is set in stone, and I shouldn't jeopardise it on a whim. I am feeling extremely frustrated by my slow progress, and that puts me at risk of a binge. But then so does resenting the diet because it sucks all the fun out of life!!! (OK, slight exaggeration!!! I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks a very great deal despite my frustration!)
If I do go, this week would be more about sightseeing than shopping - a trip to the theatre (I've wanted to see the Mousetrap for years), a day in Windsor, some more museums and galleries, possibly the new Moctezuma exhibit at the British Museum... though I would of course have no choice but to go back to Whole Foods Market and the candle shop... and this time I would take a fully charged camera battery and the charger as well, to keep it that way.
What to do, what to do??? Please advise me!!!

4 comments:

  1. Take the trip! There's no reason that you can't do both at once - lose that pound this week and travel. (Although I do understand about the "comfort" of our home routines.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. Why don't you go to London AND stick to your healthy eating at the same time? It IS possible. It would be a great challenge for you and you need to prove to yourself that wherever you are you can maintain. Even if it means eating ready made calorie counted sandwiches and low cal bars and yoghurt during the day - rather than constant tasty treats.

    I think it's about adjusting your mindset - going to London needn't be about finding the tastiest most interesting food available. It can be about all the wonderful things you want to see. If you focus solely on that (and keep any bad eating thoughts at bay with the threat of the bikini!) then you should have a great time without overindulging.

    In fact you could firmly set your goal for the week of losing a pound and eat accordingly. You can count calories to keep yourself accountable and get in plenty of walking - which you will with all the sight seeing

    I'm sure you can do it.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW you'll be amazed to hear that your pictures of food yeserday had a really positive effect on me. I had a proper evening meal last night for the first time in a week - 500g of veg and a weight watchers ready meal (sweet and sour chicken + rice), followed by a low cal hot choc and a handful of sultanas. And nothing after that.

    Given that the day had started with a load of rubbish for breakfast, this was quite a turn around.

    So keep posting! You're inspiring me to better things!

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! You're telling me almost what I want to hear - but why isn't anyone promising me that I can eat whatever I like in London for a week AND lose the pound???? Oh that's right, its because I'm awake and in the real world ;-)
    Bearfriend, its so sweet of you to say that my photos inspired you! Well done on having a great end to the eating day!

    ReplyDelete