Sunday, 16 August 2009

GoSmile? Like hell

One treatment M & I did take up at the spa was tooth whitening by GoSmile. At a dentist in the UK a similar (possibly more effective) treatment would cost about £400 - £450, but on the ship the GoSmile treatment costs $199 so it seemed worth a try. Although once we'd been talked into buying 4 boxes of follow-up treatments it wasn't really much cheaper anymore...
It was also a horrible experience! It involved inserting a piece of plastic into the mouth to hold the lips away from the teeth - very uncomfortable as there had been no attempt made to soften the edge where it contacts the lips. Then a cleansing liquid was applied and a bright light shone on it for 2 minutes; this was followed by application of a bleaching solution, more bright light for 8 minutes, rinse and repeat. The bleach was in a small vial and was rubbed over the teeth vigorously - I'm not sure quite as much force was required as was used. The relief of getting the plastic out of my mouth was unbelievable, and I think I only bought the follow-up stuff because I felt it would get me out sooner...
For the next 2 days I couldn't clean my teeth without my gums bleeding profusely, which was really pleasant, and a few times I settled for just using mouth wash (I know, my bad!). Still, I think it did actually whiten my teeth a few shades, so at least it wasn't a total waste of money and time...

EDIT
After several days I have decided that actually I'm quite pleased with the results (now that I'm not bleeding any more)

No comments:

Post a Comment