Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Freedom

It looks like I won't be getting my contract renewed here. I can afford a little time off, and I must admit that I like the idea of being able to train, and run, and go for long walks without squeezing them in around work, particularly as the nights draw in. On the other hand I hate looking for work, especially when there's a recession - I rely on companies having the money and confidence to invest in IT systems, and I don't think there's much of either about. The last time I felt so negative about my chances of finding work was around 2000, when everyone believed the civilised world was about to end and companies were obsessed with Y2K compliance and nothing but.
I'm a slightly weird person as far as work goes. I have little or no work ethic and could happily retire right now - as long as I didn't have to live on benefits. At the same time, being stuck alone at home makes me go a little stir crazy and depressive, so I need human interaction (even though I'm very shy and antisocial), structure, and stimulation. I'd like to think I could handle this next bit of time off better than the last, when I got very depressed and my relationship with M suffered as a consequence. I have a few ideas for this. Obviously staying active physically is one of them - I did do that last time, but in a less structured way. Building a proper exercise program might help provide me with the structure I need. For the human interaction, I'm thinking of maybe volunteering in a charity shop for a few hours a week, and possibly joining an exercise class of some kind - or booking swimming lessons at the local pool. As well as staying on the blogs and being as active as possible in the blogging community of course.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris. Yes structure is very important. And exercise does help keep your mood up - and a sense of achievement. Great to be able to tick that box at the end of the day. I'm trying to get back into walking myself at the moment.

    Exercising with other people sounds a really good idea because it would help get over that sense of isolation. Maybe a walking group?

    Also the autumn adult ed classes are starting soon - I'm going to try and find one to do this term. They're always very social.

    I'm sure the water weight will come off over the next few days!

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I know that reading blogs half the night thing ... it's better than the eating half the night thing ...

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete