Monday, 20 July 2009

Why Life is Unfair...

For years I wasn't interested in sweet cooking or baking. A few months ago I started wanting to bake cakes, brownies, cookies... you name it. the problem is I don't have an off-switch - and I've never seen a recipe for 1 cookie or one brownie. So I still don't cook or bake sweet things to avoid eating dozens and dozens of cookies in one go. I've thought about baking on a Sunday and bringing the spoils of my labour to work on the Monday, but I've nothing against eating cookies on a Sunday so there probably wouldn't be any by Monday morning. I've thought about baking a smaller quantity (half or a quarter if the amounts can be divided that much) and freezing the remainder - but I've very weird and love eating frozen / half-frozen cookies, fruit breads, and brownies - some of them I actually like better that way! I've also considered (and indeed tried) only baking when I'm expecting guests, feeding them while they're here and sending them home with care packages. The problem with that is, it doesn't give me a chance to practice the recipe and make sure they're good before giving them to my visitors.
And that is why life is unfair... at the end of August I have a barbecue planned. In total there will be 11 people there (including myself and my husband). Some of the visitors are bringing food, but I'm determined to do some baking. I will be baking banana bread, which I've done many times and already know to be good, and beer bread. I also want to make some peanut butter cookies or some brownies - I guess I'll have to risk making them for the first time that day, and just get some commercial baked goods to substitute if they don't turn out well. But I wish I could just practice the recipe, give away the results (if they're good enough) and move on like a normal person. If that ever happens I'll start posting recipes and photos for baked goods. For now though I'll have to rely on fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth - or buy small quantities of suitably sweet fare. Sigh.........

No comments:

Post a Comment